Prologue

Prologue

Natalie's POV

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I sucked into a deep breath as my eyes drifted to the red-light flickering over the intercom system, signaling a call from my assistant. I pressed my chin over my crossed arms and sighed. What's the worst thing that could happen if I didn't answer?

I'd lose a client.

To hell with him. Ugh.

A strand of my hair fell over my eyes, I huffed out a breath, pushing it away, too tired to untangle my arms and tuck it away.

My eyes flickered to the clock hanging by the wall. My eyebrows pulled together in annoyance. Who books a therapist's appointment at freaking six pm?

I have been listening to people's shitty problems from freaking eight in the morning and all I want is to go back to my flat, kick off these shoes, wear my pjs, grab a glass of wine and binge my tv series but instead I had to choose damn psychology as my major and open a clinic to deal with spoiled rich brats whose biggest problem is her weight gain paranoia.

I picked up this major so I can be able to make a difference. To help people. People with actual problems. Kids who gets bullied. Women who gets abused. Men with PTSD after military. People with actual psychological problem. I didn't pull out sleepless night before exams just so I can be someone, rich fellas pay to rant to.

Beep.

Goddamn it, Sarah.

I groaned and pressed the answering button. A frustrated sigh rumbled from my throat and I mumbled, "What?"

"The last client just called, he'll be about fifteen minutes late," Sarah answered, and I rolled my eyes. Just what I needed.

"Natalie," She added in her angelic-I-want-something-voice, "I really should go. I need to make dinner for the kids, you know Steve, he can barely boil an egg." She mumbled tiredly and I nodded, "Yeah sure, go ahead, I'll deal with the last client and close up."

"You're the best!" She said, the enthusiasm in her voice alone made me smile. I heard shuffling and mumbled, "Kiss the kids for me."

"Will do!" She said and I removed my hand from over the intercom and pressed my forehead against my crossed arms. I closed my eyes, feeling my energy drain away. Tiredness weakened my brain cells and I felt myself immediately dozing off. I sighed; a ten-minutes nap won't kill anyone.

*******

Knock. Knock. Knock.

I groaned.

Knock.

"Dad, open the door," I mumbled sleepily.

Knock.

"Dad!" I whined again.

Someone cleared his throat.

My head snapped up and my eyes went wide as I noticed the other presence in the room. I gasped.

Wait, why is there a stranger in my room?

Wait, why am I sitting instead of laying down?

Wait...this is not my room.

Oh shit.

I blinked, kicking the haziness away and fixed my hair before my eyes registered the figure standing by my office's door.

My gaze first caught the eyes confusingly staring back at me.

Woah.

His eyes...I blinked, they...they weren't any plain green eyes.