Chapter 31 - Death is easy, living is hard

"How can you hide from what never goes away?"

**************

Cara's POV

I feel numb.

Actually, I don't know what to feel anymore.

After Isaac finished his speech, they hit him with a last shock that knocked him back to unconscious land. He was barely even awake by the time they did it anyway. Isaac's eyes fell on me one last time, accomplishment reigned in his gaze, so proud and pleasured that he broke his son down. Without a word, he left after, his men following behind, their mission completed, leaving the two of us alone. Him, unconscious. Me, trying to comprehend the weird tightness pressing and pulling over my chest.

I let my forehead rest over my knees, mentally exhausted. I could only wonder how worn-out he must be feeling at the moment. What they did, it was brutal. For god's sake, it's not important who is at the receiving end of it, it wasn't humane. It's barbaric. I lifted my head up, my arms hugging my legs, pulling my knees closer to my chest as I stared at him for a long couple of minutes.

This time he looks dead for real. Bruised, scarred, and just a bloody broken mess over the ground.

I lifted my hand up and wiped at my cheeks, removing any trace of tears that was left. As I watched them flog him, I just felt the tears roll down my cheeks, uncontrollably. The sound of the cane as it hit his back, his agonized screams, the sight of skin opening up and bleeding...it was just too much. For god's sake, even in a movie, when such a scene comes, I immediately close my eyes, wincing as I look away but today, I was offered the first seat to witness it live.

It wasn't fair. Even for someone who hates him with a passion, it still felt so unfair. Maybe he deserves it, I know he does, he had ruined way too many lives, he deserves the pain and the agony, but I still think he doesn't deserve it coming from someone like Isaac, who is apparently ten levels worse and a tad more ruthless than Nikolas himself.

I mean...who does this to his own son? For god's sake, even Frank cared for Alex in his own messed up way, but in Isaac's eyes, I only saw pure hate and loathing.

Air pushed in and out of my chest, hoarse and heavy as my eyes wandered all around the small dark cell, trying to calculate how long we've been here. It was the middle of the day when he took me away, and I am sure it's way past midnight by now. Alex must've come back home and not found me, what did he do...Will they find us? Where are we anyway?

I got up to my feet, balancing myself on two shaky legs, trying to cling to whatever hope I had left in me as I strode forward toward Nikolas's unconscious body. His bruised ruined back was pressed to the wall, I bet any mere touch to the opened skin will end up hurting him like hell. His head hanging down at a very uncomfortable angle, his chest bare, some blood had dried out but some wounds were still dripping...if we really don't get out of here, he will die because of either blood loss or infection to his many many wounds.

And to be honest, I don't really want to share a cell with a dead man, although maybe if he does die, Isaac would just let me go, right? Okay Cara, no time for your sadistic thoughts, think of Alex. Yeah, Alex...

I crouched down by his side, the idea of slapping him again even though appealing, it felt wrong and a bit heartless, especially after all that he endured so I decided against it. I inched my hand forward, resting it over his shoulder, and I shook him. He didn't budge at first so I shook him again, adding more force into my action. A low groan rumbled from his chest, his head slightly moving. He tried to lift it up and pressed the back of it against the wall as he ever so tiredly blinked his eyes open.