Chapter 60 - Conquer or Die (Part I)

"Vincere aut mori;
—Conquer or die."

***********************

New York - The Asylum

Isaac's POV

I lowered myself, settling on the bed's edge by his side. The moonlight filtered through the window, casting a gentle glow upon his youthful features. My gaze traced every curve of his peaceful face, and a pang of emotion tightened my chest in ways I never liked.

It seemed as though he had grown so much in just a few short months.

Bringing my hand to rest on the side of his face, I gently brushed away the stray strands of his hair. The weight in my chest grew heavier as I realized that nothing would ever be the same again. My original plan had failed, and now, to win the bigger game, sacrifices would need to be made.

Too many sacrifices.

Some, I am not yet ready for...

As I brushed his cheek, his expression shifted, slowly awakening from slumber. A small smile tugged at my lips as he blinked away sleep, his hazy gaze flickering before eventually focusing on me. It took him a second or two before they widened and he jolted up, his wide eyes stared back at me in utter disbelief, "Dad?" He said, breathlessly.

Tears gathered in his eyes at my sight and he pushed himself forward into my embrace. My arms wrapped around his small body, pulling him closer to my chest. Closing my eyes, I buried my nose in his hair, whispering softly, "I missed you so much, little one."

He clutched into me, his little hands tightly grasping and curling over the back of my jacket, scared if he'd let go, I would just disappear again. Gently pulling back, I cupped his face in my hands, brushing away the tears that trickled down his cheeks, "I missed you too," he choked out, his tearful eyes awakening parts of me I'd rather keep dead forever. 

He shook his head, and ever so brokenly he whispered, "I thought I'd never see you again."

"Why would you think that," I said, before pulling him back to my embrace and cradling his head against my chest, savoring this moment for as long as it lasted, "I'm right here, my little wolf," I reassured him, though the lie tasted bitter on my tongue, "I'm not going anywhere."

When he edged backward, he brought his hands to his face, sniffling lowly and wiping away his tears. I smoothed his hair back, "How have you been?" I asked, my gaze flickering all over him.

He nodded his head, "I am okay," He said, assuringly, and then he shook his head, "Dad, Nikolas didn't hurt me like you said he would," He said, "He is so nice to me," He added, his features calming down and relaxing at the mere mention of him, trust and something else clouding his innocent eyes, "You should give him a chance," He suggested, a very small smile lifted his lips, "He is my friend."

The muscles of my jaw worked, both anger and relief pushed and pulled in my chest. My son has a great weakness for kids; one I slightly appreciated when it came to Nathan. He could've done him horrible unspoken things, those like Frank once inflicted on him, but he didn't.

The monster in him falls weak against any reminder of his young past self. That's what Nathan is to him, a reminder of something he wasn't, something he couldn't have; Innocence, and a childhood.

I am not going to lie and pretend otherwise, truth is, I was never okay with anything he went through at the hands of Frank. No one would. But, in this path that I led, the one I am still leading, I can't afford to fall weak and soft. I didn't with Nikolas and I can't with Nathan. I have to think of the bigger picture, the grander scheme, the higher goal.