Chapter 48 - Love conquers all

"In the realm of hearts, love prevails with might,
Yet some battles defy even its radiant light."

*****************

Nikolas's POV

It's not working.

The drug, it is not working. Or maybe my brain is refusing the treatment and is repelling it out of my system in the form of dark absent memories. Threads of thoughts are unraveling, becoming loose and frayed. It feels like my sanity's fabric is slowly beginning to fade away, detaching me from this reality.

I dropped Natalie at my place, desperately needing the distance away from her as I try to grasp back the control over my own head.

The metal door slid open after I typed the code and I marched into the training area, my eyes searching for one person only. My men stepped away, clearing my way when I moved forward, the negative energy vibrating off me was enough to keep them silent and unquestioning.

My gaze fell on Ronald amongst the crowd and my jaw ticked, fury intertwined with the madness, and in a flash, I was in his face, drifting his attention away from the task in his hand, as he was going on training one of my men. He turned his head, his eyes meeting mine and before he could comprehend my presence, my fingers curled over his shirt and I harshly pushed him back against the wall, letting whatever he was holding in his hand tumble down to the floor with a thud.

His eyes widened and his confused gaze flickered down to my tight grip over him. His throat bobbed slightly as his eyes slowly lifted up to meet mine, lines etched between his eyebrows before he playfully asked, "So, what did I do this time?"

I pushed him harder against the wall, the once harmonious thoughts surging in my head became discordant screams now, "Where did you get them from?"

Confusion tumbled from him in waves, "Got...what, and from where?"

A groan rumbled from my chest, I was ready to rip him to pieces without a care in the world, "The fucking pills, my pills, where did you get them from?"

My words didn't clear the confusion surging in his eyes, "What do you mean...I already told you," He mumbled, "We don't produce them anymore but I know a guy, he has a source in Russia-" He tried to explain but the madness reflecting off my gaze had a frown pull deeper between his eyebrows, "Did...did something happen?"

They were working; everything was okay. Since that day, I was okay...but what the hell is happening today? I was fighting through it since the morning, the headaches, the distorted thoughts, I was kind of in control till that incident an hour ago. It wasn't like anything else I'd experienced due to the absence of the drug. It wasn't just a memory. It was almost like she was there right in front of me. It was almost like I was in my old self, feeling the same hate and experiencing that old bitter vengeful feeling.

It's not just the drug...something is not right.

I harshly let go of Ronald, who seemed to be more baffled now as I whirled around and marched toward my office, slamming the door shut behind me, needing a minute or two alone. My palms fell over the desk, grasping at its edges as my head fell down, my eyes pressing shut and fighting through whatever was happening to me. Visions fragmented, they shattered around me like shattered dreams. The whispers in my head echoed louder, incessant, and unclear, an enigmatic symphony only I can hear.

I retreated back and pulled the pill bottle from my jacket's pocket. I looked at it, wrapped between my fingers as I tried to figure it out. Those weren't my usual pills, I am sure. They are something else and they're doing this to me. I took more today, meaning the effect will be doubled. My vision blurred, unable to read the words scribbled over the plastic bottle.