Chapter 50 - My fierce protector

"I'm scared as hell to want you.
But here I am, wanting you anyway."

**************

Nikolas's POV

I stirred from the depths of my intoxicated slumber, the remnants of the last day's events lingered still in my head, accompanied by a throbbing sensation that pulsed through my temples. Confusion enveloped me, a haze clouding my mind, as I pieced together the fragments, searching for the mess I had probably left behind.

I pried my heavy eyelids open and felt the room spin gently around me, like a carousel in slow motion. The haze of the night before clung to my senses, dimming the morning with a blurry affliction. I rushed a hand over my face, rubbing at my eyes as a low tired groan rumbled from my chest. I wanted to bury my head into the pillow and sleep forever so I won't have to face today; also known as the outcome of yesterday.

And yesterday, well, it wasn't one of my happiest days for sure...

I threw an arm over my eyes, unable to pry and adjust them to the morning lightness; the hangover digging holes into my skull wasn't helping my case either.

"Morning sunshine," I heard Natalie's soft teasing voice from somewhere so close. I could feel her shadow get closer, her familiar delicate scent invading my personal space and the mattress dipping slightly as she settled beside me. Instead of answering her, air harshly pushed out of my lungs and left my lips as a low, frustrated, and leave-me-alone sigh.

I am not ready to face her or anyone yet.

I heard her low chuckle when she sensed I was grumpy, unhappy, and hangover, "Come on, wake up," She urged, edging closer and I felt her hand on my arm, her little fingers wrapping over, trying to pry it away from my face and forcing me to wake up.

"Leave me alone," I grumbled.

"Nope, wake up, come on," She insisted and I reminisced about the days when I didn't have her in my life. No one annoyed me back then, no one dared to, except Alex of course.

A heavy sigh parted my lips and I removed my arm away, slowly blinking my eyes open, and adjusting them to the brightness. I winced slightly at the stupid sunrays that invaded my room and washed over my eyesight. I was about to pull myself up but...something was different, a bit out of place. I felt a small weight resting over my stomach, almost like a feather but it was there nevertheless, I was sure.

Confusion pulled my eyebrows closer and I lifted my head up just slightly, my eyes falling into that exact spot in exact, where a small little orange thing was fast asleep. Sorry, not a thing, it was fucking cat. A furry little orangy kitten, all curled up into a tiny ball over my stomach.

My eyes grew a bit wide, "Uh, Natalie-"

"Yeah?" I swear I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Why is there a freaking cat sleeping on my stomach?"

"Ohhh, that," She said and inched closer, finally coming into the direct path of my eyesight. She rested her hand over the thing's tiny body, almost covering it all with her palm before she ran her forefinger over his head, "That's Nachos."

Huh?

She lifted her teasing eyes up and they fell on me. She smiled, ever so evilly, "He is your new baby," She added, ever so enthusiastically, enjoying this way too fucking much, "You adopted him last night, remember?"

Horrified, I gave her a what-the-fuck look, "Get it off me, now," I shot out, and Natalie shook her head, "Oh, now you want me to touch him?" She questioned, her eyebrows raising in defense and she scoffed, "You almost pushed me off the bed when I took him from you yesterday."