Gwaine x Reader: Worthy

Today was the day. You were finally going to do it. You were going to tell him. You and Gwaine were already close, but you had been hiding your feelings for so long. It was getting exhausting, and you honestly couldn't take the secrets anymore. You were going to do it, but you still needed a confidence boost.

Which is where your best friend came in. When you arrived at her cottage, she was admiring herself in front of her mirror. You noted she was wearing one of her nicer gowns, and a flower crown was perched on top of her head.

"Wow!" You exclaimed. "What's the occasion?" You asked. She spun around.

"Y/N! You think it looks nice?"

"Of course it does, why are you all dressed up?" You asked again.

"I'm going to make my move today." She proclaimed. "I'm going to tell my crush I like him!" She suddenly looked nervous. "I hope he accepts it."

"Dressed like that? Of course he will!" You assured her. "Who is it? I don't think you've told me about any boys you fancy."

"He's a knight," She said, fiddling with her skirts. You were a handmaid for Queen Guinevere, so you probably knew him. You told your friend as such. "Maybe you do! He's a member of the Round Table. His name is Gwaine."

Fuck.

"Oh!" You said cheerily, plastering a fake smile on your face. "No, I don't think I recognize that name," You lied. The bell tower chimed.

"Is that the time?! I better get going. Wish me luck!" She breezed by you and out the door.

"Good luck." You whispered to the empty room. You quietly left your friend's house, blowing out the candle and locking the door, knowing she had a habit of being forgetful. As you slowly made your way back to the castle you continued to think about what you had been planning. You scoffed to yourself. You may be a little biased, but your friend was gorgeous. And you were... you. If you had told your friend about what you wanted to do, you know she would've been gracious and stepped aside. Which wasn't fair to her. And after all, she had a better chance than you did. Why would you bother sharing your feelings when you were almost certain the response would be negative?

"Hey Y/N!" You turned around to see Gwaine jogging to catch up to you. Speak of the devil.

"Hey Gwaine," You smiled. "Have you seen F/N yet? She's looking for you."

"That's actually why I'm here." You raised an eyebrow. "I know she's going to ask me to court her, and I was wondering if you could let her down for me?"

"Oh yeah?" You said, trying to keep your tone light and teasing. "Need a break from making constant rejections?"

"Yeah," Gwaine said, missing the sarcasm in your tone. "Yesterday I had to turn someone down and it didn't go well. I just need a break." You schooled your expression into remaining neutral.

"Okay, I'll let her know."

"You're a peach!" He kissed your cheek, causing you to freeze. He ran off, waving to you over his shoulder. While the kiss made you feel all warm and fuzzy, his words quickly pulled you back down to earth. If Gwaine was constantly rejecting people desperate to court him, how could you ever think you would be successful? You noticed your friend in the courtyard, looking around for her would-be beau. As her face fell as you delivered the news, it strengthened your resolve.