Merlin x Reader: Jealousy

"Okay, now curve your fingers a little bit more, and spread them." Gaius instructed. "Good."

"I'm doing it!" You laughed. A ball of magic, albeit small, was hovering in between your hands. "Merlin, look!" Merlin laughed at your excitement as he watched from the side.

"I see!" You turned to smile at him, but the orb fizzled out. You huffed in disappointment, your shoulders slumping.

"Don't feel too bad, Y/N." Gaius said. "That's the longest you've been able to keep the orb going." You sighed, nodding.

"Yeah I know."

"Hey," Merlin put a hand on your shoulder "If you want, I could he—"

"Merlin!" Arthur shouted from outside. "I need you!" He sighed.

"I'll talk to you later alright?" He looked at you as Arthur began piling pieces of dirty armor in his arms. He walked away, grumbling.

"When are you gonna tell him?" Arthur asked. You felt your face heat up.

"W-What are you talking about?" You tried to change the subject.

"You and Merlin." He raised an eyebrow at you. You sighed.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Definitely." He said. "So? What's the plan?"

"There isn't a plan, Arthur." You said.

"And why not?"

"Because I have no idea if he actually likes me back?" You told him.

"Really? You have no idea?" He levelled you with a look. "Really." You nodded. "Well, I think he does, and I can prove it!"

"Good luck." You laughed, thinking he wasn't serious.

Oh, how wrong you were.

...

You and Merlin were doing laundry in the courtyard, laughing and joking around. "Hey, Y/N." Arthur said, sitting down on the steps next to you.

"Hi," You smiled briefly before turning back to your laundry.

"Is this what you do all day?" You looked at him in confusion, but he winked.

"You... you know it is." You said.

"Well shaking it up wouldn't kill you, you know. Why don't you come on a picnic with me?" He asked. He winked again.

"I have a lot to do, Arthur. Can we reschedule?" He frowned.

"Actually today is my only free day." He glared at you. "So I'd really prefer if we went today." You still weren't sure what he was playing at, but you decided to go with it.

"Merlin? Do you need me to stay and help?" You asked.

"No," He ground out, scrubbing a shirt with more force than what was probably necessary. "You go have fun." He didn't look up. Your brow furrowed at his attitude, but before you could ask, Arthur grabbed your wrist and tugged you away.

...

"You're welcome." Arthur said when you were out of earshot.

"For what? What the hell were you trying to do back there?"

"Well, first of all, you have a day off. And second, did you see him?" Arthur laughed. "It's like he was trying to murder my shirt!"

"He did seem upset..." You thought. "I'll ask him about it tonight. So where are we going?"

"Where are we going?" He repeated. Then he realized. "Oh, there's no picnic."

"So what am I gonna do?"

"I don't know," He looked around. "I guess you can read?"

"You really thought this through, didn't you?"

"Hey, if you two would just talk to each other, I wouldn't have to be involved at all!" He left the room before you could lob a book at his head.

...

You had been stuck in Arthur's room for hours. You'd read through all of his books, and you were counting the beams of wood on his ceiling. At beam thirty-seven, the door opened. You craned your head, expecting to see Arthur.

Merlin walked in, holding a basket of laundry. He looked up and saw you, laying on Arthur's bed. He dropped the basket onto the table forcefully. "How was your picnic?" He ground out.

"Oh we didn't go."

"What?"

"Yeah, I've been stuck in here all along. Arthur went to spar with his knights." That was the wrong thing to say. Merlin breathed in sharply and stalked over.

"He kept you in here all along?" He clutched your shoulders. "Are you okay?" He was frantic.

"It's fine, Merlin."

"No it's not! He doesn't get to just put you away like you're a toy." Just then, Arthur walked in. "Hey Y/N, have you seen Mer—Oh. Hey." He said awkwardly, squirming under the intensity of Merlin's glare.

"I know you're a King, but that gives you no right to treat Y/N like that! Did you ever think that maybe she doesn't want to be locked up until you want to play with her again? Of course you didn't . You only think about yourself, and I'm only gonna say this once: Stay the hell away from her. Merlin wrapped an arm around your shoulders and led you out before Arthur could protest. You looked over your shoulder as you left.

Arthur gave you the thumbs up.

...

Merlin marched you right to his room, sitting you on the bed. "What do you need?" He sat down next to you.

"Merlin, I told you. I'm fine, nothing happened."

"That still doesn't excuse what he did."

"But I'm not mad about it!" You protested. "So why are you so upset?"

"Because he doesn't get to keep you all to himself!" He exploded. The temperature rose in the room as his eyes glowed. "It's not fair!"

"Fair?" You echoed. "So you're mad because you don't get to lock me up?"

"What? Of course not!"

"Then what is your problem?" You demanded. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, before growling in frustration. He lunged forward and grasped your cheeks, pulling you into a bruising kiss. You gasped in surprise, and he took advantage by sweeping his tongue into your mouth. You whimpered softly and clutched to his jacket as he took your breath away. When you finally pulled apart, gasping, he pressed his forehead to yours.

"Because I never want to be without you."