Regrets Chapter 3

"Be careful." Gwen told her husband on the steps of the citadel. "And bring him home."

"Don't worry," He told her. "I will." He kissed her forehead and turned to his horse. Gaius walked over and passed him a pouch.

"In case you need any healing." Arthur nodded.

"Thank you." He turned to his knights. "Let's go." They all turned their mounts and rode out of the city.

"So where is Ealdor, anyway?" Gwaine asked.

"A little ways past our borders. If we don't stop, we'll make it by nightfall." Leon answered for him.

"Wait, what are we even going to say?" Mordred asked.

"You won't say anything," Arthur interjected. "It was my mistake. I'm the one who will apologize."

"But we turned our backs on him too, Your Majesty. We are as much to blame as you." Elyan argued.

"It wouldn't be right if we didn't apologize too." Percival said quietly. Arthur sighed.

"Fine." The knights smiled in triumph. "But me first." The knights laughed.

"We wouldn't have it any other way, Your Majesty," Leon laughed.

...

"We should be reaching Ealdor any minute now." Arthur announced. "Stay alert." They nodded, and fell into a comfortable silence. "We'll be able to see Ealdor once we turn up ahead." They turned the corner.

And immediately froze. In the distance, multiple plumes of smoke rose, standing out against the clear blue sky. Faint screams were carried over the wind.

"...That's Ealdor, isn't it." Gwaine said bluntly. Arthur nodded numbly, before urging his horse into a gallop. They rode like the wind until they reached the entrance of Ealdor.

Or what was left of it. Huts were burning, and bodies were strewn about. People were tending to the injured, while others worked to put out the fires. As they rode through the village, they were surrounded by villagers. Some praised their arrivals, begging for help. But most were angry.

"How dare you send the bastard child back?!" One shouted.

"This is all your fault!"

"You should have just killed him! Then none of this would have ever happened!" Arthur murmured apology after apology, promising that aid from Camelot would come, before turning to his knights.

"Follow me," He dismounted and walked in the direction of Merlin's cottage. Even though it had been years since he had visited, it was still easy to find Merlin's home. It was separated from the other huts, resting on the village outskirts. When they were close enough, they could see that the door was hanging open, creaking in the wind. Arthur motioned to his knights, and they pressed themselves against the walls of the cottage. "We don't know what we'll find in there." He unsheathed his sword as the others did the same. "Stay alert. Mordred and Elyan, stay out here. Warn us if anyone approaches." The pair nodded. Arthur took a breath, and pushed the door open, gingerly stepping inside. Furniture was thrown about, some pieces intact and some reduced to a pile of woodchips. Broken pots and plates, littered the ground, which crunched under Arthur's every step. He scanned the room, searching for anything suspicious. He whirled around when he heard a cough. As he turned, his foot landed in something wet. He looked down, and his heart dropped to his feet.

He was standing in a pool of blood.

He followed the trail with his eyes until they landed on a prone figure. "Hunith." He breathed, sheathing his sword and running to her side. A quick once-over told him the source of the blood was a huge gash in her stomach. She struggled to sit up. "Don't move." He told her as he pulled Gaius' pouch out. He ripped it open, pawing through the contents in search of something that would help. He was stopped by a shaky hand. He looked at Hunith, who was gasping for breath.

"Fi-Find m-my bo-oy." She gasped.

"Merlin?" She nodded weakly. "Where is he?" She opened her mouth, but all that came out was a bone-rattling cough. Blood spurted from her mouth.

"Find hi-im," She said again. Before Arthur could reply, her eyes glazed over and her body went limp.

Hunith was dead. Arthur sighed sadly and gently closed her eyes. After a moment of silence, he stood up. "Let's go." They left the hut and explained what had happened to Elyan and Mordred. With heavy hearts, they returned to the village

"Now what do we do?" Leon asked.

"Hunith told me to find Merlin. That's what we're going to do." Arthur replied firmly.

"King Arthur! King Arthur!" The group turned just as a boy ran up to them. His face was dirty, and the tears running down his face cut lines through the grime. "I don't know if you remember me, but—"

"I know who you are, Will." Arthur interrupted. "What happened?" Will's calm suddenly faded away, replaced with blinding anger.

"You're what happened!" Will shouted. "If you had just let him stay this never would have happened!" He took a step closer, prompting the knights to draw their swords. Arthur lifted a hand, and they put them away reluctantly. "He was safe in Camelot! He would've stayed safe there! But no, just because you didn't like what he was, you sent him away!"

"Will, what—"

"He might die!"

"Will!" Arthur shouted. "Just tell me what happened!"

"Fine." Will glared at him. "It was the Lady Morgana." Arthur's breath hitched, and he heard his knights murmuring behind him. "Her men stormed the village and took Merlin."

"How long ago?" Arthur's voice was eerily calm.

"Two hours at the most."

"Do you know where they went?"

"I'm not sure, but they were heading west."

"Is there anything west of here?"

"Well," Will thought for a moment. "There's and abandoned castle about a three hour's ride from here.

"Do you have a horse?"

"Yes, but I don't see how—"

"Good, prepare it for travel." Arthur noticed Will's confusing look. "You're going to lead us to the castle."