Merlin x Reader: Never Forget Me

You were twelve when you found out you were being sent away to earn money for your family.

And you were devastated.

You and your best friend of eight years, Merlin, were clutching each other as the carriage driver behind you waited impatiently.

"Don't forget me, okay?" You asked softly into his shoulder. He shook his head against yours.

"Never." He promised. "In fact," He drew back and untied the green neckerchief he wore around his neck. "Take this."

"Merlin, I can't." You protested, pushing his hands back.

"You have to," He said. You reluctantly took the cloth, and in return you took the braided hair tie out of your hair. You used the neckerchief to push it back from your face, and handed him the tie.

"Then this is for you." He swallowed hard, but took the tie.

"Miss, we really must be going." You nodded to the driver, and threw your arms around Merlin one more time.

"I'll miss you," You both said at the same time. You laughed, then drew back and hefted your bag on your shoulder.

"Bye Merlin." You said.

"Bye, Y/N."

...

Many years had passed since that day. You had quickly settled into life as a lady-in-waiting, but you often thought about your home and the people you left behind.

Well, one person in particular, you thought as you tied your green neckerchief into your hair.

You often wondered what had become of Merlin, and whether or not you'd see him again. You always held hope that you would.

Before you could finish your though, the wired bell in your room rang.

You were being summoned by your mistress. You tied off the neckerchief and quickly left your room.

You were accompanying the princess to Camelot, and there was still loads to be done.

You and other servants spent the morning packing carriages and preparing the nobles for travel, and by noon you were on your way.

After two days of travelling, you arrived at the castle well past midnight.

And after you got your lady settled, it was nearly dawn.

You got three hours of sleep before your day started. You considered yourself very lucky that you had formed a real friendship with your mistress, but that didn't mean there wasn't work to be done. There were baths to be drawn, laundry to be washed, and rooms to clean. The day flew by as you helped your lady unpack and dress for the official welcoming banquet.

"So, Y/N." You met your lady's eyes in the mirror as you styled her hair.

"Yes, Milady?"

"Have you met any cute serving boys while here?"

"Unfortunately, no. I've been too busy cleaning up after you," You teased as you brushed her hair. "Have you met any handsome knights?" She laughed.

"I promise you'll be the first to know. But of course, a knight isn't what my father is aiming for." The smile slipped off your face. It was no secret that your king had accepted King Uther's offer to visit in the hopes of securing an alliance.

"Well," You finished arranging her hair. "At least the party should be fun." You tried to stay hopeful as you laid a hand on her shoulder. She reached up and covered your hand with hers.

"At least I know I'll have a friend with me." You both stood in silence for a moment. "Now," She clapped her hands and stood up. "Are you ready?" You nodded. "Then we shouldn't keep them waiting."

...

'Announcing Their Royal Highnesses: King Destrian and Princess Elysande!" The king and princess paused at the entrance, every fiber exuding power. The court bowed, and King Uther stood at the head table. You followed behind the royals as they approached, every inch the meek and mild servant.

As King Uther exchanged pleasantries with King Destrian, you helped your lady settle into her seat. You poured her drink, and served her food, before returning to the edge of the room with the other servants with nothing to do. You watched as the royals sat down to enjoy their meal. Directly to Uther's left was Prince Arthur, who seemed to be deep in conversation with his manservant. You returned your gaze to the ballroom.

You missed the serving boy looking up and doing a double take at the sight of the neckerchief in your hair.

...

You were still standing against the wall, ready to tend to your lady, when you were jostled by a servant hurrying past. You managed to right yourself, but quickly realized there was a slip of paper in your hand. You unfurled it and your heart shot into your throat.

Come to the infirmary after your lady is asleep.

In the roll of paper, you found your hair tie from so long ago.

...

"Goodnight, my lady." You extinguished the candles and shut the door behind you.

Now came the hard part. With bated breath you made your way down to the infirmary, unconsciously fingering the hair tie around your wrist. You stopped outside the door, and after a few moments of hesitation, you knocked.

You heard rapid footsteps, and the door nearly swung off its hinges as it was opened. The serving boy who was tending to Prince Arthur stood before you. He looked as nervous as you felt. He looked first at the tie around your wrist, and the neckerchief in your hair. "Y/N?" He finally asked after a moment of silence. You felt tears spring to your eyes and a grin stretch your face.

"Hello Merlin." He let out a laugh and lunged for you. He embraced you tightly, keeping you close to his chest. He nuzzled your hair, grinning widely. You threw your arms around him and held on just as tight as you tried to hold back tears. After a few moments of just holding each other, Merlin drew back and pressed his forehead to yours.

"I told you I'd never forget you."