Regrets Chapter 8

"You're alive?" Arthur asked incredulously.

"...Yes," Merlin said simply.

"...How?"

"Did you even check my pulse?" Arthur's mouth clamped shut as the realization hit him. "Wow." Merlin scoffed. "Thanks." Arthur rolled his eyes and glared at Merlin.

"You have no right to joke." He scolded. "You've been gone for three weeks! Where have you been?" Merlin opened his mouth, but Arthur waved his hand to stop him. "Send for Gaius," He told Leon. "And get the rest of the Knights." Then he turned to Merlin. "Sit down." He ordered firmly. As everyone filed in, their eyes landed on the wizard and everyone froze. Gaius carefully but quickly hobbled over and pulled Merlin out of his chair and into a tight hug. Merlin wrapped his arms around his shaking teacher.

"I'm sorry," Merlin apologized quietly.

"I should be the one that's apologizing." Gaius said shakily. "I promised your mom I would protect you and I couldn't."

"You've done more than enough, Gaius." Merlin told him. "Thank you," Gaius squeezed him tighter before letting him go and stepping back. The other knights were dumbfounded.

"Okay. Is everyone here?" Arthur looked around before turning back to Merlin. "Okay. Now you can explain." Everyone gathered around Merlin, itching to hear how on earth he'd survived.

"I may not have been dead. That part's true. But I was still hurt. Really bad. So when you put me in that boat, my..." Merlin took a deep breath. "My friend Freya found me, and helped me recover. As soon as I was able, I came here." Merlin shrugged. "So there you have it. Not dead. I just wanted to tell you I was fine. I'm just passing through,"

"You're not staying?" Gwen asked as she wiped a tear away.

"Of course not." Merlin stated matter-of-factly. "I'm banished, remember?"

"No. You're staying here," Arthur motioned for the wizard to follow him. "I have something to show you. We've passed a new law since you've been away." Gwen smiled after the pair.

All was well.

...

It was a happy day in Camelot, and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Hundreds had gathered in the citadel for the celebration that was set to occur that day. The main event, however, was in the throne room. King Arthur and Queen Guinevere were standing by their thrones as Merlin walked towards the front of the room. He was dressed in his normal clothes, but had taken special care in cleaning them. He kneeled in front of the throne.

"Merlin of Ealdor," Arthur began. "We have summoned you here today to pardon your crimes against the crown, and to offer you a prestigious position in the royal court. If awarded this position, do you swear to use your gifts to serve Camelot and your King?"

"I do." Arthur smiled.

"Then," He announced as he took Excalibur from Leon's hands. "I hereby dub thee Merlin, Court Sorcerer of Camelot!" Gwen stepped forward and gently pinned the crest of Camelot on Merlin's lapel. Merlin grinned as Gaius and his friends clapped loudly. Deafening cheers rose up from the throne room all the way to the citadel as the rulers of Camelot ushered in a new era of peace and equality.