Arthur x Reader: Our Little Family

"Okay, fold your arms like this," Arthur copied you.

"Is this okay?" He asked nervously. You adjusted them a little.

"Now they're good. Wait there," Arthur was finally going to hold his son. He'd been born just a week ago, and Arthur had still yet to hold him. Part of it was due to the fact that being a king kept him on his toes, but he was also terrified of making a mistake. You picked up your tiny son from his cradle as he cooed softly. You slowly walked over to Arthur as you rocked him in your arms. You sat down next to Arthur on your bed and turned to face him. He copied you, gulping nervously. You gently deposited the baby in his arms. "Mind his head." You told Arthur. He nodded and adjusted accordingly. When you were satisfied with how Arthur was holding him, you slowly removed your hands.

And then your son burst into tears. Arthur looked at you with panic written all over his face. "What am I doing wrong? Can you take him?"

"No," You told him. He looked at you helplessly. "You're holding him perfectly. He's just not used to you. Plus, the fact that you're wearing chainmail probably isn't helping."

"Oh God, is it hurting him?!" You laughed.

"No of course not, it's probably just super cold to him. Here," You took your son, who quieted down immediately. "Take it off and then I'll hand him back." Arthur removed his armour as quick as he could, before carefully moving his arms back into the position you had taught him. You gently returned the baby back in his father's arms. He stared up at his daddy for a few moments, before bursting into tears again. Arthur deflated. "Arthur," You laid a hand on his shoulder. "You're doing nothing wrong. He's only like this because you've never held him before, and he knows it. He just needs time." Arthur turned back to his son, who was still wailing. He began to rock him back and forth.

"Shh," He murmured to his son. "Don't cry, Thomas. It's alright." He raised his son, whose cries had slowly started to soften. He tentatively raised two chubby fists up. Arthur lowered his head and let Thomas touch his face. He smiled at the feeling, and Thomas stopped crying all together. His eyes were wide with curiosity, and a little smile plastered itself on his face. Arthur's grin widened. "Y/N, he stopped crying!" He said softly. Thomas giggled at his father's voice, and slowly lowered his fists. Arthur continued to grin and rock his son, until Thomas yawned, snuggled into Arthur's chest, and fell asleep, clutching onto his father's shirt with two tiny hands. Arthur stared at his son with pure love in his eyes, before turning to you. He carefully moved one arm to wrap around your shoulders, and you moved closer, kissing Arthur's cheek and resting your head on his shoulder. He smiled and kissed your hair before returning his gaze back to your son, who slept peacefully in the arms of his father.