Regrets Chapter 4

"That's it up ahead," Will pointed. Towering overhead was a dark castle. The walls were crumbling as ivy crept up along the sides of its spiralling towers. The cobblestone path leading to the front gates was overgrown and missing multiple stones. The trees lining the way were gnarled and barren. The whole area felt sinister.

"I can see why Morgana chose to hole up here," Arthur remarked. A few of the men laughed, but it was tense and forced. "Let's dismount here." Everyone dismounted and tied their mounts to branches. Everyone save for Will unsheathed their swords. "You stay here, Will."

"What? No!"

"You don't have a weapon, you have no experience in combat." Arthur reminded him. "It's safer if you stay out here."

"I don't care!" Will protested. "Merlin's my friend, and I'm going to help save him whether you like it or not." He finished defiantly. They glared at each other for a few minutes, before sighing and looking away. He reached down and withdrew a dagger from a loop on his belt. He passed it to Will, who looked uncertain.

"If you're going in, you'll need something to protect yourself with." Will nodded and took the dagger.

"How are we going to find Merlin?" Mordred asked.

"I'd normally suggest splitting up, but seeing as it's Morgana we're going up against, it's too dangerous. So we're going to stay together as long as possible, start at the bottom, and slowly move upwards until we find him. Understood?" Everyone nodded. "Let's head in." The men all began to approach the gate. Slowly pushing it open, they crept inside, searching the desolate courtyard for any signs of movement. They carefully made their way to the front door. They pushed the door open and slowly moved inside. The floor was covered in dead leaves, and light shone through holes in the roof. There was a rickety staircase, and on either side were two hallways, one pitch black and the other significantly lighter.

"So much for staying together," Gwaine muttered. Arthur sighed.

"Alright. Gwaine and Percival go left. Mordred, Elyan, you two take the right hall. Will, Leon and I will take the stairs. We'll meet back here." Everyone agreed, got into their assigned groups, and left in the assigned direction.

...

"It's awfully cold," Mordred commented as he and Elyan tried to feel their way through the darkness. He was shushed harshly. "I'm just saying."

"Hush! We mustn't let Morgana know we're here!"

He's right you know. Don't be foolish, little Druid. Mordred's eye's widened as Morgana's voice invaded his mind.

What do you want with Merlin? He hissed.

All will be revealed in due time, Mordred.

We're going to find him. You'll never win.

Your optimism is still strong I see. But your sense of perception has weakened.

What do you mean by that?

You'll see. And one more thing?

What?

Watch your step.

Before he could ask what she meant, the floor disappeared and he and Elyan fell into the abyss.

...

"How are we even going to find him? This place is massive! Morgana could be watching us right now!" Gwaine bit into an apple and stepped over some rubble as Percival pushed some hanging vines out of the way.