Past and present comfort

//TW for implications of sexual abuse//

"-Okay I love you dearly Derek but if you don't pick a show to watch within the next five minutes I am going to denounce our friendship right here" Darling joked as she sat down on the old college sofa next to Morgan who was switching through Netflix like he had been for the last half an hour.

"I can't help that they have terrible movies on here" he continued flipping through.

"Oh yeah, blame the streaming service with thousands of movies on it, that's the problem here, not your indecisive butt" she said sarcastically, leaning over and taking the remote from him, "how about Carrie?"

"Too scary" he shook his head which made her laugh.

"Did you seriously just say that Carrie was too scary?"

"There's so much blood in it, it's just unnecessary" he shrugged and sat back with his arms on the back of the sofa behind them both.

"Says the man who wants to go into the police force" she rolled her eyes, flicking through the recommendations, "what about Jaws? Or is that too 'scary' for you too?"

"Nah, it's just a terrible film."

"You take that back right now mister!"

"It's so unbelievable, people would never react like that to a shark attack."

"Oh so you don't think that if a shark infested the beach near here that you and your law school buddies wouldn't go to see it and get yourselves killed?" She pointed out.

"I mean they might, but I'm not an idiot" he laughed.

"That's debatable" a voice came from the front door as his housemates came home from a senior party that he skipped out on to hang out with Darling who hitched a ride during his last year of post grad in law school to see him for his 24th birthday weekend.

"Woah- who's the hottie?" One of the guys asked when he saw Darling leaning forward on the sofa to get the bowl of popcorn, glancing over her shoulder at them and then gesturing to the screen that was playing the jaws trailer, "I believe his name is Bruce."

"Hot and kind of funny? You've got yourself a real winner there Derek" the blonde in the middle teased as Morgan rolled his eyes.

"Guys, this is my friend Darling- Darling, these are my roommates."

"This is that Darling girl?" The blonde raised an eyebrow, "you didn't tell us she looked like that."

"And what did he tell you I looked like eh?" She raised a mocking eyebrow at Morgan who laughed and nudged her with his elbow.

"A loser" he teased.

"A hot loser according to your friends" she jokingly corrected as he rolled his eyes and got up to grab a beer from the kitchen where his housemates went to.

"Dude, congrats" one of them held up a high-five to Morgan who tilted his head at him.

"For what?"

"For landing that girl for the night" he gestured out of the room.

"I'm not 'landing' anything" Morgan laughed and grabbed his beer.

"So she hasn't let you hit it yet?" The blonde spoke crudely.

"She's just my friend."

"So she's single?" One of them asked.

"What's it to you Brad? Don't you have a girlfriend? Or at least a basic level of self-awareness?" Morgan couldn't help but mock, pointing out that he thought Darling was far too good for him.