Light memories

"Honey-" a cheery voice caught Morgan's attention, "-I'm home!"

"Don't call me 'honey' you weirdo" he chuckled as Darling waked into the kitchen where he was packing away his mom's groceries.

"I was speaking to Fran thank you very much" she joked, automatically walking over to him and the two falling into their usual deep hug they craved every time he had been away for a while.

"She's at work- and why are you calling my mom 'honey?' Did something happen with you two whilst I was away in college?" He teased, glancing down at her "do I have to start calling you mom too now?"

"I prefer to be called 'daddy'" she laughed, Morgan unable to help his own laughter as he playfully pushed her hair in front of her face and went back to putting the groceries away.

"I forgot how gross you were."

"You missed me though" she chuckled, hoisting herself up to sit on the counter, "how long are you back on your break?"

"Until after Christmas" he replied, "but I think I might stay here a bit longer after, a few months more probably."

"What? Why?" She tilted her head with confusion, having her hand swatted away as she tried to eat one of his mom's brownies on the side.

"Those aren't for you" he chuckled, handing her a cookie he made for her instead, "and because my mom needs some help here."

"Is she okay?" Darling tilted her head, munching on the cookie as he put the grocery bags in the cabinets.

"Yeah she's fine, she just is finding it hard with her kids all being out of the house now- she calls me at least twice a day if not more, it's probably cheaper for my phone bill if I come back anyway" he chuckled, Darling did not return his humour as she studied him.

"You're thinking of dropping out to come back for her, aren't you?"

He turned to her, going to say no, going to lie but he knew it was no use, she knew him better than anyone, she would be able to read through it.

"Like I said, it's tough on her with us all being gone" he shrugged, "she doesn't know how to keep herself busy- she's never been on her own before."

"But that doesn't mean you have to come back just to make her feel better" Darling hopped off the counter, walking over and grabbing a glass of water, "I thought you said you were enjoying college?"

"I am" he nodded, having to hide his smile at how she automatically got him a glass too, "I just- I don't know, it's hard."

"It's college; it isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park" she laughed before nudging his arm, "but you're smart, there's no way you're not finding it easy."

"What happened to the years of you calling me an idiot?" He teased.

"Oh you are an idiot" she laughed, "it did take you two years to pass biology after all-"

"That was only because my lab partner kept trying to create formulas that almost burnt the teacher's flesh off and got us held back half a year in that class" he chuckled.

"In my defence I told her not to put her hand in that box I made" she shrugged with a smile at him before nudging his arm again, "seriously though sugar, you're too smart to drop out of college- especially if you wanna get your butt into that fancy FBI program."

"First of all; stop calling me sugar, it makes you sound more southern than usual" he chuckled, "and second of all; I never said I was dropping out for sure, I'm just thinking about it- and that program isn't the be all and end all."