Nothing

Things were awkward.

There was no doubt in Morgan's mind as he walked to the station coffee room; things were most definitely awkward between him and Darling- but not in the way he expected.

He thought she would be ignoring him, brushing him off or that one of them would try to bring up the strange situation they were sure to be in now, but she didn't.

She just acted the same, acting as if nothing happened at all which was somehow worse given all Morgan could think about was what happened on that sofa.

Her soft cheek in his hand, their eyes burning into each other, the tone shift that had been building all day, her words that stirred something in him that he didn't know lay there;

'Do it.'

Morgan couldn't think straight, he just kept hearing those words 'do it' over and over again, the look in her eyes, the reality that their friendship almost shifted in a way he never thought it would with his thumb brushing her lips, his lips moments away from replacing it- and then her last words rang out in his head;

'I think you should leave.'

Of course he did leave, if she didn't want to talk then that was fine- but Morgan couldn't not think about it, he couldn't just pretend something didn't happen, even if he didn't know what that something was.

He tried for a few days to convince himself it was all in his head, some kind of heatstroke induced fever dream.

But he couldn't forget that look in her eyes, the anticipation of that waiting moment, that taunting 'do it' spoken in a whisper only for him to hear with such certainty almost like she was daring him to, challenging him to- begging him to.

Everything only shifting to more questions in his head the more he let himself think about it;

Did she mean it in that way? Did she think of him in another way than just a friend? No, she couldn't have, of course not- right?

Morgan had to cut off his thoughts before they spiralled again like they had been for the last two weeks as he went back into the station conference room.

The day after the sofa incident, the team were called back onto the case they had been originally kicked off of- choosing to take the jet in case of anymore 'losing two agents on a simple two platform station' train incidents.

The entire two weeks working on the case, Darling hadn't said a word about what happened, she just acted exactly the same- but less sure of herself around him, like she too was questioning everything because of what happened but wouldn't admit it even to herself properly.

"Someone took his time- are you avoiding something?" Rossi spoke to Morgan as he walked into the conference room.

"W-what?"

"Doing your work" Rossi chucked his file at him, "Hotch wants the profile delivered by 6pm before the officers go home so we need the profile complete yesterday."

"But we have nothing to go off of for this profile, literally nothing" Morgan sighed as he took his seat, dwelling on the fact it had been two weeks of searching for something in seemingly nothing as the bodies stacked up.

The officers had tried to solve it on their own when they kicked the BAU off the case which caused more problems when they inevitably had to call them back.

The case was slow within itself, the murders intricate and contrasting- but not in a way like they were committed by multiple people like the team first suspected, it was as if the unsub couldn't decide on a murder method.