Chapter 10

Kylie's revelation certainly changed things. We had found out that Ben was Kylie's uncle, which meant that Ben must get to go home, back to where he was pulled here from. This was major news. We didn't want to tell Kylie about us being together, though - that much shocking information at once might be too much for her. She remained to be the only one in the dark.
"It can't be a coincidence though, can it?" Peter said, "Out of only eight of us it can't be just luck that two of us are related."
"Well to know that, we have to know why we're here in the first place," I snapped.
Ben instinctively put his arm around me but I quickly jumped away and gave him a look. It was okay for everyone else to see it but if Kylie had witnessed that, things would turn ugly. She was perched on the lounge, her face in her hands, so luckily she didn't see.

"Well, while all this is very exciting, I must be going," Brian announced, "The boys are performing live on television today. I'm sure they'll be fascinated to hear about this development. Cheerio."
I had to laugh when he said cheerio. Oh, Brian.
"This doesn't really change anything," Kylie stated.
"Doesn't change anything?" Ben exclaimed, "Of course it does. I know about the future of my family. I'm your uncle, Kylie. Things will be… different."
"Our relationship won't change. We won't have an uncle-niece relationship because that's not how we know each other. Well, I know your future self as my uncle, but your current self is just a friend to me."
"We barely had a relationship to begin with. You ignored me, remember?"
"Well maybe it's time to fix that."

Brian being out of the apartment gave us a chance to discuss things we didn't want him to know about - our sneaky little midnight escapades, for example. Tomorrow night was to be our (group one's) second outing. The boys were leaving on tour (yet again) tomorrow, around Europe, and Brian was going with them. Usually Mal would also go but he was tasked with watching us, a special request by Brian.

"I know there's not much to do, but we have to get out," Adam said.
"Even just walking around is therapy enough," I added, "No offense guys but it's good not to be cooped up in here with you all the time." Some quickly responded.
"Oh, absolutely."
"I agree."
"None taken."
"I really want to go out, Sophie!" Jack told me.
We all looked at him in pity. A young boy of eight was not allowed to go outside and play, the one thing children specifically have a right and need to.
"We'll take you, sweetie," I told him, "We should do it now, actually."
Then a voice not previously heard startled us as it rung through the room.
"I hope I'm not interrupting something."

I was relieved that it was only Mal. I couldn't bear to imagine the consequences if it were Brian.
"No," a few of us were quick to defend ourselves.
"Do you guys sneak out?" he asked us.
"No," Adam shot.
"That's what it sounded like. Don't worry, I won't tell Brian. I agree with you. I can't imagine being locked up in here all the time.."
"Can you tell Brian that?" Peter said.
"Jack wants to go to the park? Let's go then."
"Are you serious?" Jenny asked.
"Yeah, I've got a three year old boy myself. I'll go and get him and we can all go to the park together. And if Brian finds out, I'll take the blame."
"Thanks Mal, you're the best," I told him.

He left to get his son but was coming back. Jack could not contain his excitement.
"I'm going out, Sophie, I'm going out!" he exclaimed.
"Yeah, you are."
"It's been too long."
He ran over to Adam and tugged on his arm.
"Adam! Adam! Can I sit on your shoulders at the park?" he asked sweetly.
"You sure can, buddy. You deserve it," he told him.
He was right. Jack did deserve it. He hadn't played up once. I can only imagine how scared he is, being with older strangers and without his parents. If I were him I'd be freaking out: but not Jack, the calm, sweet eight-year-old boy. When he does start to get scared or agitated we usually just read him Green Eggs and Ham and he calms completely down. I am so glad we don't have to deal with a frightened and fragile child. The only time he had been out was when Brian first bought us all some clothes and when we all went to see A Hard Day's Night at the theatre the other week. It really was cruel of Brian to keep him locked in here, come to think of it. He needs to be outdoors to grow. This was almost bordering on Flowers in the Attic-y.