Chapter 27

I awoke earlier than usual. It was dark and Kylie was still sleeping soundly next to me. My back was hurting so I rolled ungracefully out of bed and put my dressing gown on. I then crept up the stairs and made my way into the kitchen. Consulting our calendar that kept track of everything time-related, I was reminded that today, February 9th, was Ben's 'age-up date' – that is, his adjusted birthday in relation to the time travel. It could very well explain my shortened slumber. Today was going to be about him, which made things awkward for me. He was turning 20 and we were going to the movies to celebrate.

I opened the fridge and poured myself a glass of juice. I went upstairs to the sitting room. I was surprised, however, to see that the room was occupied. The birthday boy himself was sitting in one of the armchairs, a glass of milk in one hand and a book in the other. For a split second I thought about spinning on my heel and high-tailing it out of there before he saw me but then I thought about being the bigger person. I gingerly sat down on the three-seater lounge. He looked up at me and I swear I saw a smile flicker onto his face for a second. I smiled at him.
"Happy aging-up day," I said to him.
"Thanks," he replied.
"What are you doing up so early?"
"It's the only time I can be alone."
"Well, sorry for cramping your style."
"It's okay."
We then sunk into an uncomfortable silence. What did I have to say to him? And why wasn't he completely ignoring me like usual? We each took a loud slurp of our drinks and avoided eye contact. I felt movement and made an involuntary sound.
"What is it?" Ben asked, sounding concerned.
"Just the baby kicking," I responded.
After a pause, he tentatively asked, "Can I feel?"
I nodded and he got up, putting the glass and book on the side table, and came over. He knelt on the floor in front of me and placed his hand on my tummy. I found myself placing my hand over his. At that moment, the baby decided to give a definitive kick, as if it approved. We looked into each other's eyes. It was the most intimate moment we'd had since that night. Eventually he got up and cleared his throat to announce he was going to have a shower. After he left I found myself grinning stupidly.

Soon the rest of the household was awake and Jenny was cooking breakfast. This morning it was pancakes, Ben's favourite. The nine of us sat in the dining room and ate, conversation flowing. Peter, who was seated to my right, leaned in and said quietly, "You woke up on the right side of the bed today."
"What do you mean?" I retorted.
"You're in a good mood, which is surprising given what day it is."
"I had a good morning."
"Already? The morning has just begun."
"For you perhaps."
I left him wondering what I meant. I didn't feel the need to divulge the contents of my morning to anyone; it was a private moment between Ben and I.

After everyone had finished eating, Jenny went and got Ben's birthday presents and placed them on the table in front of him. Jenny put her arms around him from behind and kissed the side of his head.
"What's this?" Ben asked, feigning surprise.
"Open them!" Jack, on Ben's left, exclaimed.
Ben obliged and started peeling the wrapping paper off the first present. It contained some clothes that Jenny and Kylie had picked out. The second one was a flat square item, which might have been an obvious shape. It was revealed to be a record, Wednesday Morning, 3AM, the debut album of Simon & Garfunkel. Back when we first got here, before things became complicated, Ben had told me that he hated folk music, with the distinct exception of Simon & Garfunkel, which he liked. Needless to say, it was my idea to get the record for him. He looked across the table at me in awe, knowing that this would have been my influence. I noticed Kylie, too, looking amazed at something.
"I'm so sorry about the folded corner, Ben, it was the only one we had left," Brian explained. His family owned a record store.
"I think it gives it character," Kylie chimed in, nonchalantly taking a sip of milk.
There were a few other little presents that Ben opened, after which he thanked everyone and we all went to our respective bedrooms to get ready for the day.