First Nights Back

TW- Mentions of eating disorders and abuse

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?" Malfoy elbowed past Hermione to block Harry's way up the stone steps to the castle, his face gleeful and his pale eyes glinting maliciously.

 "Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched. 

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Malfoy loudly. "Did the scary old Dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

" I hate him. It's people like him that taint the Slytherin name." grumbled Regulus.

 "Is there a problem?" said a mild voice. Professor Lupin had just gotten out of the next carriage. Malfoy gave Professor Lupin an insolent stare, which took in the patches on his robes and the dilapidated suitcase. With a tiny hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said,  "Oh, no — er —Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the steps into the castle.

 Hermione prodded Ron in the back to make him hurry, and the three of them joined the crowd swarming up the steps, through the giant oak front doors, into the cavernous Entrance Hall, which was lit with flaming torches, and housed a magnificent marble staircase that led to the upper floors. The door into the Great Hall stood open at the right; Harry followed the crowd toward it, but had barely glimpsed the enchanted ceiling, which was black and cloudy tonight, when a voice called, 

"Potter! Granger! I want to see you both! There's no need to look so worried — I just want a word in my office," she told them. "Move along there, Weasley and Black."

And so Lyra and Ron parted ways with Harry and Hermione and continued their way to the Great Hall silently. Lyra and Ron didn't have much in common, just that both were Harry's friends, of course both were friends but not as close as both were with Harry or Lyra and Hermione were. Lyra attempted small talk but was met with short answers, so disappointed she chose to focus on the sorting in front of her, clapping for every eleven year old.

Harry and Hermione entered the hall just when Professor Flitwick was about to put away the Sorting Hat. The two sat beside Lyra and Ron, where the said two had saved seats for them, Harry between Ron and Lyra and Hermione beside Lyra. 

"What was all that about?" Ron muttered to Harry. Harry started to explain in a whisper, but at that moment the headmaster stood up to speak, and he broke off.  

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

At this most heads turned to Lyra, who ducked her head at the attention.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, and  Harry and Ron glanced at each other. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs a foul of the Dementors," he said.  

Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, and nobody moved or made a sound. "On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. "First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

 There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Only those who had been in the compartment on the train with Professor Lupin clapped hard, Harry among them, Lyra being the hardest cheerer . Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.

"Look at Snape!" Ron hissed in Harry's ear.

Lyra had mixed views on the Potions Master. She didn't necessarily hate him. He was good at what he taught but his teaching techniques weren't approved by her, especially toward Neville. But he had a certain aura, with his sad eyes and tall walls, he was a mystery to her and Lyra loved mysteries. She wished to solve him, to help him come out of his sorrow. 

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause for Professor Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettle burn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his game-keeping duties." 

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Lyra stared at one another, stunned. Then they joined in with the applause, which was tumultuous at the Gryffindor table in particular. They leaned forward to see Hagrid, who was ruby red in the face and staring down at his enormous hands, his wide grin hidden in the tangle of his black beard. 

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!" The golden plates and goblets before them filled suddenly with food and drink. Harry, suddenly ravenous, helped himself to everything he could reach and began to eat. It was a delicious feast; the hall echoed with talk, laughter, and the clatter of knives and forks.  Harry noticed Lyra eating small portions of her food and frowned but kept quiet.

At long last, when the last morsels of pumpkin tart had melted from the golden platters. Dumbledore gave the word that it was time for them all to go to bed, and they got their chance to congratulate Hagrid. 

"Congratulations, Hagrid!" Hermione squealed as they reached the teachers' table. "All down ter you three," said Hagrid, wiping his shining face on his napkin as he looked up at them. "Can' believe it... great man, Dumbledore... came straight down to me hut after Professor Kettle burn said he'd had enough... It's what I always wanted..." Overcome with emotion, he buried his face in his napkin, and Professor McGonagall shooed them away. 

  Harry, Ron, Hermione and Lyra  joined the Gryffindor streaming up the marble staircase and, very tired now, along more corridors, up more and more stairs, to the hidden entrance to Gryffindor Tower, where a large portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress asked them, "Password?" "Coming through, coming through!" Percy called from behind the crowd. "The new password's Fortuna Major!"

Ron and Hermione went up the stairs to their respective dorms while Harry and Lyra both sat in the common room as the people went upstairs to have a goodnight's sleep, both in each others company.

As the last person retired to their dorm, Harry whispered to Lyra, " How bad is it?"  

Lyra said without missing a beat, biting her upper lip, "Not too bad."

 Harry sighed, shaking his head. "You still bite your upper lip when you lie. Show me." 

Sighing Lyra lifted her t-shirt and unconcealed her black, blue, purple, and yellow bruises, which were previously covered with her metamorphmagus abilities. It was not a secret between the friends that the owner of Lyra's orphanage was a neglectful abusive drunk. There were three kids at the orphanage that were younger than the black-haired girl so naturally she was the one to take care of them. At 13 she was  more nurturing than many mothers, and since Harry was over many times so the kids were quiet fond of him too. She knew everything about her and him about her There were no secrets between them. 

"That's not bad? And when are you going to start eating more?" Harry said, clearly worried about his best friend.

" Yeah, It's not that bad. It doesn't even hurt if I don't poke them. And you know that I can't eat much after summer." The grey-eyed girl said. She didn't have much to eat much during the summers with limited money and limited food, she offered most of it to the younger children. So, when she came back to Hogwarts, it took some time for her to build her appetite back. 

" Yeah, I know," the green-eyed boy said, " but doesn't means I like it. "

" I know." The long-haired girl whispered, hugging her best friend.

Qotd: Fav colour?