Chapter 2

The escape of the Brazilian boa constrictor earned Harry his longest-ever punishment, not that it mattered. He sneaked out, one or three times but the only thing that mattered is that he didn't get caught.

By the time he was allowed out of his cupboard again, the summer holidays had started and Dudley had already broken his new cine-camera, crashed his remote-control aeroplane and, first time on his racing bike, knocked down old Mrs Figg as she crossed Privet Drive on her crutches.

And oh! It was a horrible sight, seeing his cousin on a bike. He swore the metal was bending when he sat on it!

Harry was glad that school was over, with all the useless Homework he had to do. He was expecting his letter any day now. His 11th Birthday was just a few days around the corner.

When September came he would be going off to secondary school, though he doubted it immediately cause he already had a school in mind, and fortunately he wouldn't be with Dudley. Dudley had a place at Vernon's old school, Smeltings.

Piers Polkiss was going there, too. Harry, on the other hand, was going to Stonewall - JK! Its Hogwarts though he never told the Dursleys he was going. Eh, they wouldn't notice. They thought he was going Stonewall High, anyway.

Dudley thought this was very funny. "They stuff people's heads down the toilet first day at Stonewall," he told Harry, despite the fact he's never been to Stonewall High.

"Want to come upstairs and practise?"

"No thanks," said Harry dramatically, eyes widening for more effect. He put his hand on the right side of his chest.

"The poor toilet's never had anything as horrible as your head down it - it might be sick." Then he ran before Dudley could work out what he'd said. And if he did. Well, that's an achievement for him.

One day in July, Petunia took Dudley to London to buy his Smeltings uniform,( it would surely take a lot of time due to how fat Dudley is, thought Harry), is leaving Harry at Mrs Figg's.

Mrs Figg wasn't as bad as usual. It turned out she'd broken her leg tripping over one of her cats and she didn't seem quite as fond of them as before. She let Harry watch television and gave him a bit of what looked like cake but drastically didn't taste like one.

There was a horrible smell in the kitchen the next morning when Harry went in for breakfast. It seemed to be coming from a large metal tub in the sink. He went to have a look.

The tub was full of what looked like dirty rags swimming in greywater.

"What's this?" he asked Petunia.

Her lips tightened as the always did if he dared to ask a question. But as always he didn't have an ounce of his mind that cared.

"Your new school uniform," she said.

Harry looked in the bowl again.

"Oh," he said. "I didn't realise it had to be so wet."

"Don't be stupid," snapped Aunt Petunia.

"I'm dyeing some of Dudley's old things grey for you. It'll look just like everyone else's when I've finished."

"I seriously doubt that students' parents let them wear that," he said pointedly.

Just then Dudley and Uncle Vernon came in, both with wrinkled noses because of the smell from the new 'uniform'. More like elephant skin, Harry thought.

Uncle Vernon opened his newspaper as usual and Dudley banged his Smeltings stick, which he carried everywhere, on the table.

They heard the click of the letter-box and flop of letters on the