Chapter 15

Harry couldn't quite believe he had only known Ron, Hermione and Neville for a few months. They had clicked immediately and were already inseperabale. He felt as though he had known them his whole life. Of course, he was absolute best friends with Ron, who had gotten a lot more confident since becoming Padfoot junior. He was still the same friendly, slightly tactless boy Harry had met on the train, but he didn't doubt himself the way he did back then. And apparenly Harry wasn't the only one to notice, either. 

"Harry?" 

Harry rolled over to face Ron, who was lying on his back, arms crossed behind his head, and was staring at the ceiling. 

"Yeah?" 

"Thank you." 

"You're welcome for whatever it is?" 

Ron shifted so he was looking at Harry. 

"You... oh, this sounds too sappy." 

"Spit it out, Ronnie." Harry winked. "I won't embarrass you for confessing your undying love for me... too much." There was a small pause. "Don't worry, Ron. I really won't judge." 

"It's just... you gave me something to do. Someone to be. All of this" Ron was on a roll now. "becoming Padfoot junior, being friends with you guys, doing something of my own - I got to do something like that before. I was always just the sixth son and everything I could've done to make my parents proud had already been done by my brothers. I always thought I'd just follow in their footsteps. Now... I'm my own person. I'm doing my own thing. I'm part of something. I have a best friend who's the chosen one of all people, and two other friends who're part of the same group, and we plan pranks and have secrets and sneak out after curfew. I think... I think we could actually do something amazing. Become great. Do whatever we want." Ron was quiet for a moment. "Thanks for that." 

Harry found himself unable to speak for a moment. He didn't really know what to say for that - Ron had never been one for big speeches and big feelings before, and it sure was sappy, but he also realised he didn't mind. He was glad, actually, that Ron had told him that. A smile crept onto his face, and Ron could just about see it in the faint moonlight. 

"You're welcome. And, Ron - thank you. For being the first friend except for Sirius I ever had and for being the best friend I could ever wish for." 

Ron was smiling too now. "Goodnight, Harry." 

"Goodnight, Ron." 

In their defense, it was almost three a.m. They had the right to be sappy. And they sure as hell made up for it the next day - 

"Ready?" 

"Ready!" 

"Ready!" 

"Re-ready!" 

"Woof!" 

"Drop!" 

A gigantic purple sheet unfolded over the staff table, releasing a truckload of rainbow glitter on the teachers just as Neville's camera clicked. Several of them let out surprised shrieks, only to cough and splutter - for a moment, they were entirely obscured from view in a sparkling rainbow cloud. When it settled, it almost reached the teachers' necks. The very furious teacher's necks. 

"WEASLEY!", Snape roared, his face a magnificent Gryffindor red. In a moment of boldness, Neville snapped another photograph, grinning broadly. 

The Weasley twins however were busy roaring with laughter along with the rest of the student body. They, frankly, did not give a single dam they were  being blamed.