Chapter 3

Ten minutes later they had wrenched their the way through the boarded-up doors and were in the car, speeding towards the motorway.

Dudley was sniffling in the back seat; his father had hit him round the head for holding them up while he tried to pack his television, video and computer in his sports bag.

Serves him right,

What did the pig do now?

'Pig' tried to pack his television, video and computer in his sports bag.

Didn't do much,

The bag almost ripped,

*snorts*

Harry already packed his things, food, and clothes. And if you're wondering how bloody hell Vernon couldn't see the food or clothes, the answer is simple: Magic.

Harry, of course, wasn't that Un-Ravenclaw, to open the letters in front of the Dursleys. So he stuffed it in his totally not stolen bag.

They drove. And they drove. And Harry thought this is completely boring.

Every now and then Vernon would take a sharp turn and drive in the opposite direction for a while.

"Shake 'em off. Shake 'em off," he would say whenever he did this.

They didn't stop to eat or drink all day. And it made Harry have the urge to reach in his bag to get his food. He wasn't sharing with the Dursleys anytime soon.

By nightfall, Dudley was howling. He'd never had such a bad day in his life. He was hungry, he'd missed five television programmes he'd wanted to see and he'd never gone so long without blowing up an alien on his computer.

Vernon stopped at last outside a gloomy-looking hotel.

Dudley and Harry shared a room with twin beds and damp, musty sheets. Dudley snored like a pig, causing Harry to stay awake, sitting on the window-sill.

Harry thought this was his chance to finally open his letter. He grabbed his bag, opened it, and snatched one of the letters.

Ignoring the back of the letter, he opened the envelope. In big bold letters it read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chief. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Potter, We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress,

Harry grinned eating chips he got out of his bag. It was exactly what he imagined. Too formal for its own good. Harry then opened another parchment that was poking out, of the envelope. It read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Uniform

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)