Chapter 9

Sorry for my lack of uptdates and the short chapter! I have an excuse though: idiot teachers and exams, homework and projects. And I've started an original story I won't publish on Wattpad but on paper. I'm under a lot of stress right now, but I try to keep up with my stories here all the same. 

Enjoy the chapter! 

Harry, Harry! Wake up!

"Wassup?", Harry asked groggily as he sat up in bed, having been awaken by the familiar voice in his head. When he realized who it was, he glanced at the big black dog which was wagging his tail, looking at him with exited grey eyes. His tongue was hanging out of his muzzle and he looked like he was grinning.

What do you want, Sirius? It's the middle of the night.

He yawned while talking mentally.

Let's go to the astronomy tower! I want to finally meet you as your godfather.

Harry's eyes widened.

You're going to transform? I'm coming!

Quickly, he slipped out of bed and threw on a jumper over his Gryffindor pyjamas. He pulled fluffy deer themed socks and his school shoes over his feet before he crept out of the dorm, the giant black dog beside him.

The duo slipped through the portrait hole and started running, ignoring the fat lady's questions. Giggling, they raced through the corridors.

Sirius knew the way to the astronomy tower and miraculously, they managed not to get caught by Filch or Mrs Norris. Soon, Harry was shivering in the cold night air, the swift breeze messing his hair up even more and the moon and stars from above just about gave enough light to see.

"Pup."

Harry turned his head to look at the man next to him.

Sirius looked better than he'd have thought. His hair was very long and very tangled and he was still skinny, but his godfather stood strongly and his face wasn't too sunken. He'd regained a little colour and looked wide awake, no dark circles, no bloodshot eyes. Sirius was smiling widely as he opened his arms for Harry to come hug him.

The boy wasted no time and with a jump, he was in the warm embrace of the godfather he had yearned to hug ever since he was four.

Sirius laughed as he swung the boy around. His laughter was rough, warm and deep- it was music to Harry's ears. The barking laugh of the grown man mingled with the sweet, innocent child laughter of the eleven-year-old prankster.

They were almost dizzy when Sirius finally stopped twirling and simply stood, hugging his godson to his chest. Harry laughed as he realised his feet still weren't touching the ground, but his godfather didn't even seem to notice the weight, so Harry just sunk into the embrace and hugged the marauder back.

They stood like that for a few minutes, then Sirius put Harry down and looked him into the teary green eyes.

"I've been waiting so long for this", he croaked out.

"So have I", Harry smiled, slightly choked up.

"I'm proud of you for making Gryffindor, Harry", Sirius grinned.

"The hat must have considered Slytherin though. Am I right?"

Harry laughed.

"It wanted to put me there, actually. I wasn't having that and that bravery caused the hat to put me into Gryffindor."

Sirius belted out a laugh. Harry watched, grinning, as he noticed he had imagined his godfather exactly the way he was: from looks to the way he laughed. Padfoot threw his head back just the way he had imagined him to and his quicksilver eyes crinkled.

"The hat told your father he had some Slytherin in him too, in fact", Sirius spoke, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes- or were they still from the emotional reunion?

"I, on the other hand, had nothing of a Slytherin. The had did consider Hufflepuff because of my loyalty, but that was it."

Harry grinned.

"Well if you were a Hufflepuff, your current reputation would cause people to highly doubt the sorting hat."

Sirius laughed again.

"That it would."

He sat down on the floor and motioned for Harry to join him.

"What do you think of Hogwarts so far?"

"Best place I've ever been."

"It still astounds me after all these years."

"How can it not?"

Sirius laughed.

"True, that one. Oh! Look! A shooting star!"

Harry closed his eyes and made a wish.

"Passed right through Lyra.", Sirius said.

"Huh? What's Lyra?", Harry asked.

"Lyra is a constellation. My parents forced me to learn all about stars and constellations. Lyra's most prominent star is Vega. And look- there's Cygnus, the swan. Three of my ancestors were named Cygnus, all of them were pureblood supremacists.

"There's Cepheus- that's Draco, the dragon, my nephew Draco Malfoy is named after that one, I bet he's a pureblood git like his father- There's Andromeda, like my favourite cousin Andy, and there's Bootes with my uncle's star Arcturus-"

Sirius kept pointing out stars and constellations while Harry just listened, not bothering to memorise anything.

Suddenly, a thought spang into his head.

"Do you think they can see us now?", he asked quietly.

Sirius' head turned to him. He sighed as he saw his godson's sad face and his old regret and grief washed over him again.

"I'm sure they can, Pup", the man spoke quietly without believing it.

"I'm sure they're watching us now, and they're very, very proud of you."

"I sure am", James mumbled as he leaned against his best friend's shoulder.

"If only you could see me now. I'm so very proud of you, Prongslet."

Harry smiled sadly.

"Yeah", he said.

"I believe it too."

Padfoot sighed and pulled the boy into an embrace.

"Why don't you write to them? Like they're still there, just not at Hogwarts. Keep the letters. They'll read them peeking over your shoulder while you write."

"I think I'll do that", Harry said quietly.

They sat together for a long time, until Sirius noticed the emerald eyes had drifted shut and their owner's breaths had become steady. He smiled and scooped the boy into his arms. With Harry's wand, he cast a disillusement charm over the two of them. Carefully, Padfoot carried Harry back to his dorm.