shōto todoroki - forget me not

CW: N.A.

happy (super late) one year anniversary to this book!

==========================

"I'm home!"

I set my things down, before walking towards the dining room. Standing before the dining table, I reached my hand out towards the vase that sat on the tabletop. I replaced the water in the vase, admiring the fresh forget me-nots that sat in it, before putting it back into its original position.

Sensing another presence, I looked towards the living room, taking notice of him sitting on the couch. I smiled to myself.

"I didn't know you were home early," I said, walking towards him.

"Anyways, I bought our favourite snacks. We could eat them together if you'd like." I took a seat next to him, waiting for his reply.

Silence.

He crossed his arms, leaning back into the couch. He closes his eyes, not once looking at me. I frowned, wondering what I could have possibly done wrong.

So, the both of us sat there in silence, and the only sound that could be heard was the clock on the wall ticking in the background.

I wasn't someone who enjoyed such silences, but I didn't know what else I could do, so I just leaned on his shoulder. I was surprised, for his shoulder felt icy-cold against my cheek. Weird, I thought, aren't I laying on his left shoulder? So why does it feel so cold...

Without warning, he moves away from me, standing up. Startled, I sat up straight, raising my head to look at him.

He lowers his head to face me too, and he starts to say, "Can you please... stop doing this? It's not good for you."

I raised an eyebrow, confused.

"Shōto, you're making no sense, you know?"

"You're acting all weird and... and..." I trailed off.

"I seriously don't understand..."

"Stop lying to yourself!" He suddenly shouts.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, but you just don't want to accept it."

He pinches his nose bridge, annoyed.

"You've been doing this every single day..." he says, "Ever since that day..."

"Why can't you just accept the fact that..."

I shook my head, looking away from him.

He continued staring at me, contemplating for a moment.

"Gosh... You're really stubborn," he said, sighing loudly.

I still couldn't understand what he was trying to tell me. Or maybe I just didn't want to understand.

"You can't keep doing this..."

"What... Do you mean?" I asked, laughing nervously. I didn't want to look him in the eye.

He places his hands on my shoulder, gripping it hard.

"Because," he tells me, "I'm not here anymore."

"You have to move on."

I blinked, "Move on?"

I turned my head, staring at him in disbelief.

"What do you mean? You're not making any sense. Your jokes aren't funny."

"Also, aren't you right-"

I blinked once more.

"-here..."

I opened my eyes, only to come face to face with an empty room.

There was no one else, except for myself.

I sat there for who knows how long, the reality of everything slowly sinking in.

Letting my gaze wander, I looked around the room. My eyes landed on the dining table, where the vase filled with withered forget me-nots sat.

I stared at it long and hard, before whispering to myself, "I should really throw those flowers out..."

- fin -