todoroki shōto - bygones

#5: "you're the worst thing that ever happened to me."
flashbacks in italics.

CW: cursing

=========================

"I think I did everything right."

I looked at the recipe, then back at the batter in the bowl.

"Please don't flop," I prayed, placing a scoop into the pan.

And a few minutes later, success! I think. Those golden-brown pancakes that were so fluffy, with maple syrup drizzled on them were placed on the plate in front of me. On another plate, though, were the few pieces that I accidentally burnt. I mean, they're still edible, right?

I wiped my hands on my shirt, taking a seat at the dining table. Just as I was about to take a big bite of my pancakes, the doorbell rang.

I groaned, "Seriously? Interrupting precious breakfast time?"

I stood up, walking to the front door.

I opened the door wide, proceeding to say, "Please make this quick, I'm hungry."

I came face to face with a familiar looking attire. Ah, this person was kind of tall.

I looked upwards, and I was met with a familiar pair of eyes. Their heterochromatic eyes gazed into my soul as they stood there, silent. They had a distinct scar around their left eye, too. Their evenly split red and white hair was something that hit too close to home.

"You look familiar. You're... a cosplayer, right? Look, it's amazing and you look exactly like that late pro-hero, but I think you have the wrong house."

I stepped back, slowly closing the door, only for them to stop me with their feet.

"y/n."

I froze.

"You remember me, right? Your husband?"

This isn't really happening...

"Shōto?" I asked. he nodded his head.

I instinctively looked at his left hand, where a ring could be seen on his ring finger. The same ring he gave me years ago.

I shook my head, not able to believe it.

"Where... have you been all this time?" My voice quivered slightly.

Straight-faced, he tells me, "I'm home now, so that doesn't matter, does it?"

He steps forward, pushing the door wider. he tried to take a step in, but i stopped him.

I stood there, frowning.

"Doesn't matter? Do you know how long I've waited?"

5th January 2109. The first time he left me alone in the house, only coming back 3 weeks later. I didn't think much about it, since he was one of the top pro-heroes anyways. Of course he would be busy.

18th November 2109. He was gone for 3 weeks again. I had lots of questions, but in the end I kept them all to myself.

23rd March 2111. He left for 2 months this time. I asked him where he went, only to be met with the answer, "Work."

8th February 2112. 9 months before he came home again.

24th December 2113. He left me the house early in the morning, disappearing for a year.

1st January 2115. I never saw him again, until today, the 29th of December 2120.

Almost 6 years. Almost 6 years, before he appears at my doorstep again. Coming home as if none of this disappearing act of his ever happened. As if everything could go back to normal.

He never answered my texts or calls whenever he was gone. Not even once. And each time he came back, that feeling in my heart grew heavier and heavier.

He looks at me, tilting his head slightly, "Well, you wait for me every single time, so it doesn't matter."

"Because I had hope."

"But do you know," I continued, "How much it hurts? You coming home, not saying a word about where you've went, and here I am, expected to just wait here every single time? Fuck no."

"It's as if I'm a pet, or worse, a toy to you. You don't even think about how I feel about all this."

He tried to say something, but I stopped him.

"I'm tired of always waiting for you. You've held me back for, what, the past 10 fucking years."

"All these years, every time you were gone, I thought you died. and this time, i thought you really did. because you never contacted me the past years. no one else has heard from you, either. the whole world thought you had died, Shotō. But now you're here, barging back into my life."

He reached for my hand, trying to comfort me.

I looked at him, tears streaming down my face, which shocked him a little.

"I'm tired of playing this stupid fucking game," I sobbed, "So please, let me go. Please, take this and leave."

I took off the ring that hung around my neck on a piece of string, placing it into the palm of his hand. He looked down at it, then back at me, panic written all over his face.

Before he could stop me, I slammed the door on his face.

With my back facing the door, I sunk down to the floor. I ignored his pleas and his incessant knocking, as I sat there hugging my knees.

I played with the string around my neck, tears continually running down my cheeks.

I stared at my pancakes, absentmindedly muttering, "What a day, huh?"

- fin -