Chapter 3: Overlooking View

The London Eye is truly a fitting name. From this magnificently crafted mechanical wheel, one can see the entire city of London from a bird eye's view. I have to admit that this truly is a breath taking view. The sight of it from the Shard invoked some unpleasant memories, however, I do not regret getting in this passenger car. The sunset in combination with the gradually increasing lighting of the streets were a truly stunning sight to see. I thought, that this city of London was truly magical.

'So Shirou, how has our sight-seeing trip so far?' Tohsaka inquired with a smile on her face. She was sitting close next to me. I could tell she was enjoying the sights as much as I have been.

'Very fun. The architecture of so many buildings and landmarks were beautiful.' I replied. 

Despite this being mostly true, it doesn't change the fact I lied to her with no hesitation or much thought at all. Even if I had felt discomfort, I didn't want to worry her with something so trivial. These bouts with trauma that occur in every day life have been so common for most of my life I tend not to dwell on them in the moment. Especially not now, while Tohsaka is clearly happy, I don't want her to worry or to lower her mood.

'I see... Then that's good. As long as you enjoyed it then I did too.' Tohsaka said that with some ambivalence. She doubted the truthfulness of my words, which made me somewhat impressed that she saw through me. I was slightly puzzled as to what had given it away but having been in this relationship with her for so long, it wasn't surprising she could pick up on the smallest of details. My understanding of her has definitely grown too. Yet, although I understood her tone I didn't address my feeling of displeasure.

'Since coming here to England, I have gained so many new experiences despite the short time we have been here. Thank you for taking me with you. Even though you could have taken on a much more competent magus than me as your student.' I said with sincere gratitude.

Tohsaka looked at me and frowned. 'Are you still saying these negative things about yourself? It's true that there are magi better than you with magecraft. But that's true for anyone. There is always someone better at you in any aspect. No one is perfect, and some people excel at things you don't, and vice versa. There seems to be something wrong with how you define competency. Magecraft is so diverse with many different areas of expertise, so just being better in one category doesn't equate to being a more competent magus. Don't forget Shirou, that you are unparalleled in projection magecraft, and you survived a Holy Grail war. Have more confidence in yourself and don't say such stupid things.'

'You chewed me out so fiercely and all I was trying to do was thank you. I guess I have a long way to go to please a princess such as yourself.' I laughed playfully and she looked even more annoyed. 'But seriously, thank you for saying that. You are the only reason I have gotten this far. My gratitude goes way further into the past than just inviting me to England. You saved my life so many times, and dragged me out of dark times when I was losing my resolve. For that I will always thank you. For that I will always love you.'

Tohsaka smiled shyly while her face reddened. She put her hand on mine and rest her head on my shoulder. She whispered something quietly. I could tell she said the same words as I, but I wanted to tease her just a bit.

'What was that? I couldn't quite catch that.'

Again she whispered it somewhat quietly, so I repeated my question.

'I know you heard me you dumbass!' Tohsaka shouted into my ear and pushed me away. I deserved that.

Tohsaka then leaned closer to my ear and said, 'I love you, Emiya.'

This stupid exchange really reminded me of how much I was in love with this girl.