Chapter 18: Symphony

Directions to this party led us to an incredibly large mansion in the centre of London, which was more like a regal palace. The front entrance had a rather menacing gate, barring entry to any unauthorised access. Stepping through the gate, the atmosphere was incredibly... stale. The bounded field was something that denied all entry, yet if any were allowed in, they weren't given permission to leave. There was no going back now.

The entrance leading up to the mansion had a smooth stone pavement, decorated all around with flora, flaunting the owner's aesthetic sense, which I had to admit was quite amazing. The mansion was mesmerising from the outside, and I was quite excited for what was to come in the interior. The doorway was quite expansive, with pillars on either side, supporting the overhanging top floor of the house.

I was so absorbed in the physical beauty of this place that it hadn't occurred to me fully the many people dressed in formal attire who were also going into the mansion. I daresay that they were all magi of considerable skill and status, however, my lack of knowledge of the magi world meant I didn't have a clue as to who they were, so it was only an assumption. After all, I was highly doubting this event would be for ordinary wealthy citizens, otherwise I would not have been invited.

I had come in a fine tuxedo, with a buttoned black vest over a white shirt, and black trousers. It was quite expensive but a necessity when attending an event like this. Rin was donned in a beautiful dress with a red and white colour palette which accentuated her beauty. We really looked like an important couple, exuding a rather professional aura, though in reality we were somewhat on edge because of our wariness towards this party.

As we entered the mansion, the massive lobby was brightly lit by gold chandeliers with beautiful crystal-like glass, producing a light as radiant as the sun's. The hall was filled with at least a hundred important magi, socialising and having drinks. The ambience was unexpectedly normal of a party, being quite exuberant and overall joyful. As far as I could tell, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and at the very least, the people here weren't enemies out for blood.

Shortly after Rin and I had meandered around for a few minutes, we encountered a familiar face.

'Sherou! You finally arrived. I was waiting to meet you and show you off to all of my friends!' She looked over at Rin as if she only just realised she was with me.
'Oh... you brought her with you. Did she coerce you into coming with you? That's unfair, you know. You can't always be her butler. Are you never allowed any free time?'

Rin angrily spoke up, 'Shirou isn't my butler, and I only came, concerned for his safety, since he's so reckless. We came as a couple, not as master and servant.'

How can they only converse for a second and already be at each other's throats?

'Luvia, thank you for inviting us here. It's quite the spectacle which I appreciate being given the opportunity to experience it. May I also offer some words of gratitude to the host who has given me this privilege?' I was already fixated on meeting with this event's benefactor, who could have been a danger to me, or not.

'Sherou, the host said they would meet with you a bit later, at the climax of the evening. Until then, they said to enjoy everything there is here to offer.'

It was clear that they had the intention of meeting me in a significant manner, however, the way they phrased it as the climax had me slightly anxious. I was unaware of any activities as I had only just arrived, so maybe that feeling of mine would subside upon learning of what they would be. I hoped that what I was feeling was solely a bad feeling, and not instinct.

For an hour or so, I went around with Rin, engaging in relatively awkward conversations with other magi, and some were members of the clocktower, who actually commended me, though it felt unreal, being praised by a magus of higher ability than me. Though not all reactions were positive. I was aware that there were three major factions of the Clocktower's association. The democratic faction were happy to meet me and showed positive reactions, as they were people who believed in ability over lineage, whereas the aristocratic faction looked at me with scorn because of my unnoteworthy heritage. The reason why Luvia seemed so tolerant towards me was likely because she was part of the democratic faction. Either that or she was in the neutral faction which only cared about its own personal research.

After speaking with many people, an important activity began. Typical of a formal event, especially with fancy magi, a ball was held. Classical music of famous musicians were played in the background as the majority of the attendees participated in an elegant waltz.

Despite my prior fears and worries, I was somewhat swept up by the mood of it all, and asked, 'Rin, may I have this dance?'

'Yes, you may.'

I held her hand gently, and we taking up a stance, started to dance. A few years ago, I would never have imagined something like this, where I could be in a graceful dance with someone I loved greatly. Rin had prepared and practiced with me for such event, so we were both proficient in this sort of style.

Smoothly and exquisitely, with fine and detailed movement, we sailed across the hallway in beautiful motion. The thing about a waltz is, this sort of dance required the harmony of a pair. Two souls, dancing to the same swinging rhythm in unity. It was an unforgettable experience, and despite dancing with a multitude of other couples, it felt to me as if we were the only ones there. Holding Rin's hands, and moving together in union made me feel our connection even more. It made me appreciate the importance of companionship. You never truly understand the brilliance of symphony, until experiencing it for oneself. 

Eventually, the music stopped, and after a short applause, it was over. I was somewhat expecting this to be considered the climax, and be called out by the mysterious benefactor afterwards, but even after several minutes of anticipation, that was not the case. They had something else in store, which wasn't clear to me from the schedule.

After another half an hour or so, we were currently on the second floor, as at some point, we decided to see what was up there. As Rin was talking to another magi, I had slipped away, in order to take a breather from the stressful conversations. All this magecraft talk was too complicated for me to keep up. 

I had taken a cup to drink, though it was a non-alcoholic drink as it would be bad, being attacked if I was even a little bit impaired by drunkenness. Suddenly, a voice called out to me, and as I turned around, I had met her again for the first time in more than an hour. She walked to my side and leaned on the balcony, looking at me rather intensely.

'Oh, Luvia you're here? Are you not with any of your friends?'

'Sherou, I slipped away from them in order to speak to you. I have an important warning for you, from the host. They said that it was almost time to meet.' She paused.
'The climax is coming.'

I was puzzled by this revelation. Looking at the schedule, nothing was to come until an hour or so later. 'Soon? What do you mean by the climax is coming? What is going to happen?

Smash! The sound of glass shattering rung loudly throughout the mansion. The noise came from downstairs. Rushing over to see what was causing the commotion, as I looked down from the stairs, fog was seeping through the windows. Mana ran rampant throughout the house, and the clashing of bounded fields caused an uncomfortable discordant feeling to well up within me.

It was just like back then, when I had first met Luvia. A mysterious fog built up, with strange and powerful assailants appearing.

As I quickly sprinted down to the lobby area, I heard the sound of flesh being violently ripped. Blood splatters all over the place, and screaming echoing throughout the house. The crimson walls signified the start of a massacre. 

I will protect Rin and everyone else here.