Chapter 36: White Knight Blood (IV)

Damn it all...!! Again?! I let another person die! I can't even save a single person...

Surrounded by a flame that ceaselessly consumed all that was in its path, once again I remained. Alone. 

Right before me, a life was taken. I couldn't do anything. No matter how hard I struggled, I couldn't do it. I couldn't save her.

Regardless of how strong or fast I was, death was never something I could defeat.

Just like back then, I let someone die. 

She was my enemy, in a battle to the death that allowed for little mercy or even empathy. But even so, I never wanted her to die. Gilgamesh gruesomely killed her and I couldn't stop him. He cut out her eyes so that hope was out of sight. Ripped out her heart so she couldn't feel anything. She was bestowed such a tragic death that I couldn't have prevented at the time.

Two years ago, I couldn't save Illya. And just now, I failed once more, to save Luvia. Against the demons who brought them a horrible end, there was nothing I could do. That was because they were foes who held power to make their will, fate; to do as they please without challenge.

No, in truth, it wasn't because they were too strong. I was weak. Far too weak to ever save anyone.

I wanted to be a Hero of Justice with all my soul. And to me, that meant saving everyone, and making them happy. If others were able to smile for me, that would be enough. But I couldn't fulfil that criteria. So far, the only thing I had truly managed to do was to execute judgement. Only after Illya had died was I able to defeat Gilgamesh, so in the end, the only thing I had really become, was vengeance.

The wailing of the flames seemed to drown out all other sounds. Except his voice.

First came the sound of heavy footsteps, and then the husky and half-formed voice of the harbinger of death.

'If there were any truth at all, then the only one I would believe in is that you failed to save her.'
Walking through the fire, the regenerating body of the vampire I had thought I killed, had appeared. As if he were clad in death itself, despite denying it against all odds, his countenance came into view.

Motionless, I remained in the same position on the hard, wooden floor.

Mockingly, he said, 'Human, no need to be so solemn. You can meet her soon enough with my help!'

Still not moving, I remained silent.

'Hey... Don't ignore me. Such impertinence won't go by me unpunished. You even dared to try terminate me, but fate pulled me back to this side.'
He began to walk closer to me.

As soon as he was in range, my once immobile body was thrown by my soul, with all my power towards his body. As I placed my hand on his chest, I projected a sword within him and reinforced it, ripping apart his already damaged organs further.

His face remained expressionless. It had no affect. It did not even seem to anger him so much, as he stared at me indifferently.

'So you are still alive? Sorry to give you some bad news, but that won't work on me.'

'How the hell are you still alive? You couldn't have regenerated from that...!?' I couldn't accept it. That I had tried my hardest to take him down, but in the end I was the one who had been losing.

Still impaled on my blade, and with his face beginning to form and his voice mending as he spoke,
'Unfortunately, you never had the ability to truly kill me. My 'Principle' that dictates my very soul, is 'Life'. Now that may sound contradictory to be the Principle of one such undead as myself, but it was something that I researched and dedicated my human life to, and ultimately succeeded.'