Chapter 29: Warmth in the Winter

'Hey, are you alright?' Squatting down, and holding an umbrella, over my head. She reached out to me, as I lay on the ground, bruised and battered and covered in snow, freezing from the merciless icy winds. In response to her kind gesture I took her hand. Even in the chilling cold of the winter, her hand was so warm. Or maybe it was because I was so cold, that even the most frigid of hands felt like catching the sun.

That was when I first met her. Rin Tohsaka.

--------------

It was the start of the new year, when I was ten years old, and I was out one day on a shrine visit. Kiritsugu was travelling out of the country, so I was essentially alone throughout the first month of the new year. 

I had gone to the shrine to wish for many things. Even though it had already been three years since the fire, it would always linger in my mind. I wanted to forget about it, but there was no way I ever would. One thing I prayed for at that shrine though, was for Kiritsugu to be happy. I always dread his trips, not because I would be alone, but because he would always come back incredibly... lifeless. For a little while after returning, he would always seem so sad. It was a far cry from the happy face of his the first time I saw him. That smile, and that happiness, was what saved me. And I desperately wanted it back.

On my way home, I walked through the cold air in solitude. The weather seemed to be getting worse, with snow piling on the grey asphalt of the ground, however I could hardly notice the increasing cold. The lack of warmth didn't seem to bother me, because I could never forget the scorching heat from back then.

Along my journey however, rather than getting home, I stopped. In the park close to my house, were three kids, not much older than me, who were bullying a smaller child. Without thinking I found myself charging in and defending the victim.

It was a small boy, with black hair, and glasses. He looked frail, and was bruised by the older kids. I couldn't stand by and let this injustice take place, and so, before I knew it, I had placed myself in between the boy and his assailants.

They were big, but there size didn't scare me one bit. I was more concerned in protecting the other kid then winning a battle.

'Stop it! Why are you bullying him?' I shouted, while guarding the boy.

'Who the hell are you? Trying to act like some sort of hero? Don't butt in to our fight. That freak is a monster!' One of the older bullies stepped forward.

'You still intend to continue, when you've already beaten him?'
I scoffed. 'Some fight this is! Its just a pack of monkey brained bullies beating on someone weaker than themselves so they don't feel like losers.'

'You...!' The boy swung at me, punching me in the face.

'Run away!' The boy immediately got up, and ran away, shouting thank you.

A brawl broke out, and it was three on one, so of course I was losing. However, even when they kept pummelling me, I could withstand the pain, knowing that I had stopped injustice taking place. I managed to save someone in that moment, so it didn't matter to me. Though, despite being three on one, I must say I didn't go down without a fight. 

After a good few minutes of back and forth blows, with mainly me on the receiving end, we were all pretty tired out. For mere children, we didn't hold back and we made each other bleed. I just wanted the bullies to give up, but they wouldn't let me go that easily. But if they refused to run away, then it was still my job to punish them.

I charged forward at one of the main bullies, but I lost my balance as he tripped me up, leading me to fall face first. They kicked me while I was down, and at that point, my loss was assured. Eventually they were satisfied with my beating, as well as probably in pain from the damage I inflicted upon them, and I was left lying in the snow, too tired to get up.