Chapter 20: Unwavering Resolution

Illuminated by the cold radiance of the half-moon, stood before me the figure of a vampire, who's appearance was that of an angel, yet the expression of a demon.

She had finally revealed herself to me, and despite having many words to say to her before, upon her appearance, I was dumbfounded. The orchestrator of such a calamity looked as if she were just a child. I quickly collected my thoughts, shaking off my astonishment with the deduction that the person before me was likely a being who had lived for millennia.

Regaining my ability to speak, I asked her, 'Altrouge, for what reason do you seek me? You killed so many unrelated people in your pursuit, and to what end? Let me guess, you want to make use of my abilities? Force me to fight for you?'

The girl tilted her head in confusion, looking at me as if I was suggesting something outrageous.
'The reason why I had orchestrated this was... well, to put it simply, interest.'
The response was something unfathomable to me. I could not understand how one could use the lives of others to satisfy their curiosity. Surely their lives didn't have to end, for a pastime?

'What about me interests you, then?' I was reaching a tipping point. If she were to give me a stupid reason I might have tried to kill her then and there.

'Hmm... Nothing in particular really, but rather, I find your existence to be quite fascinating. From the first moment I laid eyes on you, I saw a blazing flame within you, growing brightly. You have the potential...'
Her face warped into a smile brimming with insanity.
'...to be the ultimate plaything, Shirou Emiya! I want you to become mine!'

My body shook uncontrollably in terror. It was screaming out to me that she was unimaginably dangerous. My overwhelming fear seemed to make me forget that I should have been angry at her pathetic attempt at a reason. But I knew that I had to stand firm. If she wanted me to be her pet, then she wouldn't kill me right?

'I decline your offer, Altrouge Brunested. I don't have any time nor desire to play with you.'

Silence.

She roared out so loudly in laughter, it was as if she was shrieking. Her amusement was so intense, that the building cracked under her voice alone. After several seconds of laughter, she came to a halt, and released a pressure so powerful, that it felt as if it was dominating my existence entirely. Her smile contorted into an intense scowl.

'It seems your lowly human brain cannot comprehend the fact that I was never giving you an option. I am demanding that you become mine, and so you will do so.'

I wanted to ready my weapon. If I didn't I would, without a doubt, die. However, I couldn't do anything. I had always saved people without consideration of my own life, but that didn't mean I was immune to the fear of death. After all, if I died for such a stupid reason like this, then I wouldn't be able to continue to save people. And so I did nothing. Maybe, a part of me thought that if I submitted to her will, I could continue to live, and perhaps be able to live a life of servitude...

'Well, even if you were to serve me as entertainment, it would be meaningless if you didn't give your all for my sake. And for that reason, I will provide you with an incentive to give your full effort into enthralling me with your endless suffering.'

She snapped her fingers, in signal for something, and not a moment later, did a new figure make an appearance, jumping from the second floor and landing next to Altrouge. It was a man with blonde, short hair, wearing full white, consisting of a trench coat, tunic, sash and leggings. The blade attached to his belt was distinctly that of a cutlass. He had the rugged appearance of a pirate, yet, also the constitution of a knight, which I had expected from a servant of a princess. He was likely a vampire, I assumed, yet I could not be so sure as he hadn't opened his mouth yet.