Chapter 𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

Enez Lyons
Third Day of School
6:15 a.m.

I woke up a little bit earlier today because I wanted to make sure Eda was home and that she had time to get ready as well. I walk to her room in a robe, stark naked underneath because that was just how a real nigga sleeps.

Eda was fast asleep on her bed, legs wide open for the world to see her cooch. Her braids were all out of her bonnet and around her head, her edge wrap the only thing secure. Her room smelled like cheap liquor and even cheaper dollar store perfume. Her alarm goes off just as I shake her awake.

Her eyes are bloodshot but I ignore that.

"Hey, you gotta go today or they fo sho gon kick you outta the system, Eda."

Everybody knows they kick you out of the school when you don't show up on the first day, then they put you back in the system and give you a new schedule once you come back.

She slowly started getting up, still ignoring me. I'm surprised she had even listened to my directions, seeing how we had been arguing on and off since Die and I found her passed out drunk in Galveston the evening of the first day of school. Her so called homegirls had left her behind for a college party that night. Yesterday she spent the entire day here throwing up and asleep, and when I came home from my second day, I not only had school shit to shuffle through- I also had to bathe her dirty ass.

Sometimes Eda gives me a lot to put up with.

But she's still my little sis.

"I'm finna start getting ready. School starts at 7:30, keep dat in mind."

"7:30?" she smacks her lips, adjusting her bonnet correctly. "Yeah," I sigh, tiredness from yesterday beginning to settle in at that statement.

I head back to my room to start getting ready, shooting Die a text that I owe her one. Yesterday after school, I had decided to do something for myself for a change. I had gotten a little haircut and with that, I got some waves.

They was smooth as hell, I was gonna have all the bitches at Pastrami High riding my dick. But the only person's reaction I really wanted to see was Dynera's.

After I was dressed (I had some jeans on that was black on one side and white on the other, black jean jacket, plain white tee, my black and white Jordan's again, and of course my silver chain), I stopped by Eda's room again. Had to make sure her ass was still even in there. I really owe Die a big one for helping me find her sneaky ass.

"What?" my little sister says when I walk in on her checking her ass out. She's wearing a black romper with some Timb's on and a jacket that matches the main color of her brown boots. She had her braids tied up into a top knot, and some light makeup on that she was still applying. I knew some shit about makeup, so I recognized she was letting it set right about now.

"Just making sure you still here," I say softly.

"Is Mom and Dad here?" she asks me with attitude.

Like it's my fault they care about artificial substances more than their own flesh and blood.

"No," I suck in a breath, turning away from the doorway. "I'm sorry, Enez. For all it's worth, I don't try to ruin your life. I'm just a really crappy and fucked up kid," she says softly. Does that really fix everything she does to me though? I don't turn back, but I nod. I go to stand by the front door until Eda emerges from her room, my stomach grumbling the entire time. I hadn't had time to eat dinner last night, not that there was dinner even in existence here.

Me and Eda probably'll stop and get some breakfast before we get to school, unless Eda takes forever to walk her narrow ass over to me.

I unlock the door and grab my car keys just as Eda finished her annoying and slow ass walk towards me. I'm met face to face with my mother, and fear courses through me.