Chapter 𝙁𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

Dynera (Die) Ericks
Nina's Townhouse
9:51 a.m.

Nina's phone abruptly starts buzzing as my sobbing seems to stop simultaneously. I peer over her shoulder as if I can sense it has something to do with Enez and her sister.

"My friend from one of my classes just text me and said..." Nina sucks in a deep breath and clicks off her phone before I can see the rest of the text. She closes her eyes and seems to be trying to keep tears from raining down her face. I search her expression of pain, warm tears rolling down my own as I prepare myself for the worst.

"It's all over the news. They found the two kids who left Pastrami High. But of course not us yet. And...they list that the oldest is going to the hospital because of a heart attack."

I cry out, sounding like a lost baby bird.

"Die," Nina whispers, "Die"

She holds me against herself firmly, her own tears rolling against my neck. "What if she- she-

It's like my eyes are frozen open in agony as I cry.

"She won't, she won't," Nina says in a shuddery voice against me. "Enez is all Eda's got," I whisper.

She's all I wanted, my mind whispers back.

Enez Lyons
Riley Home
11:46 a.m.
(One Month Later)

The Riley family. They had taken us in per the police's request after I got out the hospital.

Yep, I had given myself a heart attack because of all the stress I had been under. But despite me not wanting to be where the cop's knew we were, this was the best decision for Eda. So I let it happen.

Not that I really had a choice, but I like to think that I did. The Riley family is Hispanic, kind, and consists of an older brother and a younger sister.

We continue school at Pastrami High.

Online.

My heart feels dead sometimes, and I feel bad for thinking that because it really could have killed me. Something within me must have been fighting to stay by Eda's side though. When I look at her- I'm disappointed in myself.

I see no joy. I don't see a normal teenager.

I've failed as...whatever I am to her. Because I couldn't protect her from this world. I couldn't...do what I should have. Every time I hug her it's a sorry letter with my name on it...but sometimes she doesn't seem to want to receive it. So I stamp it with a kiss on her forehead and try not to show bad emotions around her anymore.

I cut off the news when they mention any search's for the man who killed our parents. Who was the leader of the gang after them back in Baltimore.

I don't cry in front of her anymore.

And I'm always happy.

Sickly happy all the time, with a small permanent smile on my face whenever she's around. I cry in the shower. I steal things at the grocery store. I cut myself on my upper thighs where no one will see.

I'm my little sister's protector.

We're not under any protection, but the cops have promised us peace and safety. We stay near Missouri City, so close to Houston that it's practically not it's own city, far away from the South Houston that I had grown to know. It's like unfamiliar things kept being thrown at Eda and I.

Eda and I, that's how things had always been, huh?

I allow myself to smile in the mirror of the bathroom me and the daughter of the Riley's share. They spoil Eda and I, but they don't know that me and her are saving up things in case we want to flee. Some might call us stupid for wanting to flee when we got a good thing going here.

No, the Riley's aren't looking for any permanent adoptions. Eventually, we'll be thrust into the foster care system, and our next match up may not be as sweet. Eda and I could be separated. Or our values could be lost and we could end up right in jail or prison like everyone expects kids who look like us to end up at.

No, I'll protect my sister.

My eyes seem glazed over with pain. A happy, silent pain that is only visible to an eye that would care. Or maybe that's intrigued. My smile is plastered on like peanut butter, but it's false and holds no real sweetness. I'm skinnier but hold more strength because I work out and run as much as I can.

No, I'll be strong for my sister.

My thighs hurt but I medicate them everyday.

No...I'm too weak for my sister.

Tears glitter in my eyes but the knocking of someone outside the bathroom door makes me wipe them away quickly.

"Yes?" I call out, then slowly open the door.

"Can you pass me the wipes in there, Enez?" Ashley asks me, her hair swept up into a bun. She was wearing a dress with a t-shirt underneath and her edges were carefully styled. She had a pair of Jordan's in her hands and her face was framed with a few pimples right underneath her chin.

I passed them to her then slid my way out the door as she went inside. If she needed to go in she coulda just said that, I thought, annoyed. But I didn't have any real hard feelings towards Ashley. I was mad at myself. I couldn't really have any hard feelings towards the Riley family because they had all been so kind towards us. It was all internal for me.

Maybe they were kind because they were being paid or maybe they took pity on Eda and I. It doesn't really matter how they treat us though- we're gonna be gone soon. I would give anything to see my little sister's eyes light up again with happiness.

I guess I'm not giving enough.

Dynera (Die) Ericks
English III
11:53 a.m.

It was almost the end of English and I numbly copied down my assignments.

"Thank you," the teacher said to the class as she picked up some assignment we did. I didn't really focus on things anymore. I just finished things and moved on with my life.

My mom had tried to get me a therapist, but not even my best friend in the whole wide world could fix me.

After class, Nina and I walk to my fourth period.

It seems like the group has split in two. Londynn betraying us for the purple haired girl and Enez leaving off with Eda. It's only Nina and I now.

"You've been depressed for too long," Nina practically mumbles. "I think we should go out this afternoon," she suggests.

"So I'm supposed to get over Enez leaving in a day, Nina? I don't want to go anywhere," I snap at her.

"It'll do good for you, Die. You haven't been...you in forever." The tardy bell rings and I know Nina's going to be late to her class. We stop in front of my fourth period door.

"At least do it for me. I miss having my friends, Dynera," Nina says softly.

"Find some comfort in somebody's pussy, Heat," I turn to go into the class.

"I want my comfort in you. Apparently you were the only real friend apart of our original trio. I don't wanna lose you because of Londynn and Enez's decisions."

I turn back, seeing the pain in my friend's eyes.

"Come to this party for me, Die. I think you'll like it there. Be free for just one night...do that for me, will you?"

I stare at her for a moment, then sigh. "Fine."

She offers me a playful smirk and leaves just as the bell for fourth period rings. I step into the class, trying to gather my emotions and thoughts about this new plan.

A party after school, huh? That can't be too bad.

Don't forget to vote and comment 💨