Chapter 𝙀𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣

Enez Lyons
Die's Crib
8:22 p.m.

I drop Dynera off at her crib. I didn't even know she lived in Murky Ridges (the sign read Murky Ridges at Pastrami Street), Die lived near the entrance into the cluster of townhomes. It's crazy how our complex's were so near one another. I was at Murky Ridges Apartments, near the back of the complex, first floor.

When I told Die that, she said that I must live near Londynn too. Before I know what's happening, Die leans over and gives me a kiss. "Have a good night," she tells me lowly, then I watch her walk through the dark to her house.

I pull out of the complex and head towards my own. I park in front of the house, noticing Eda's room lights on. I can't decide whether that's good or not, but I quickly lock my Kia and rush inside.

I open the front door slowly and close it behind myself. I feel immediately stressed and like I'm being pulled in different directions. Home wasn't a safe place for me. I hate to admit it but I enjoy being at school way more. I feel like that's some part of the reason why I flunked last year. Maybe I didn't want to let go of my high school years. Maybe I was too lazy. Maybe I still wanted to be a child.

I knock on Eda's door softly. I can't tell whether Mom or Dad are home, even if their car isn't here. They both don't like a lot of noise when they're outta there, so I knock again even more softly when nobody answers the door.

"Come in," I hear Eda whisper in a raspy voice.

I quickly close the door behind myself and take in my wrecked sister. Makeup all fucked up, skin looking ashy, clothes messed up. "What happened, Eda?"

She couldn't have went back out with those same friends, right? Eda was smarter than that. They obviously weren't shit, I mean they left her ass on a beach. Anybody could have hurt her or taken advantage of my sister. Anger started to boil inside of me just thinking about it.

"I tried to fight them. I mean...they left me behind bruh," her voice broke.

I rushed to comfort my sister, my weed baggies slipping out of my pocket. Immediately the mood changed. She shoved me off of her and glared at me.

"Mom's in there throwing up and Dad's out there drinking his liver away with some bitch riding on his nasty ass dick," she points in the direction of our parent's room. "I can't lose you to addiction too, Enez."

"I talked to Dynera and I'm-

"Who?" Eda asked, her nose wrinkled up.

I searched for words. "She's- It's this girl-

"Enez we aren't here to be kids," Eda says. "I realize that. I'm trying to get my shit together now. No more running around town and acting like a whore. Im telling you now- You don't have time to be chasing after some little two dolla fem who just wants to ride it once or twice."

"It's not like that, Eda," I laughed, running my hands over my short hair. "You don't even know her. And she's not a fem."

"Then what is she? Another straight girl you're stupidly chasing?"

"She's a stud."

Eda's eyes widen, then she settles on shrugging. "Whatever. You still don't have time to be falling in love or falling into pussy. I'm the younger one here- if I have to clean my act up, so do you." She snatched up my weed and tucked it under her arm. "I'm throwing this shit away. I'm not gonna let you throw away your life, Enez."

"Give it to me, I'll dump it," I tell her truthfully.

"I don't trust you, Enez. I feel like you'll just hide it and start getting like Mama," Eda's eyes begin to water.

"I won't," I promise firmly, stepping forward to embrace her and give her a kiss on the forehead. "I got caught at the mall today."

"What?" Eda gasped, pulling back and holding my face in her hands. Concern filled her eyes and they searched mine. "The mall cop caught me as I was walking outta the store," I sigh, "it was just some boxers. He let me go- no cops involved, no parent phone call. He...he and Die, and you are the ones who've really convinced me to get my act together."

I'm not gonna lie, it was really only Die, but I won't admit that to anyone. Sometimes you gotta lie to save other's feelings. Eda's face broke into a soft smile and I knew I had made the right choice. "I'm serious, I'm getting my shit together. If Mom and Dad can't provide for us, then I'm going to step up as your big sister and be that Mom and Dad and your home." Eda fell against my chest, staying like that for a long time.

"There's this kickback..."

"Eda, you literally just lectured me," I sighed, annoyed again.

"I just...one last moment of relaxation. Please."

"There's a gang after us. They want our parents dead for sure, and I'm positive that they wouldn't mind killing us to prove something."

"What do they want?" she asked, trying to distract me. "I don't know. Our lovely and amazing parents never told me," I say with artificial sweetness. I go back to the topic at hand. "My answer is no, only because I wanna get a feel of Houston before I let you go all over town. You'll get a yes eventually, Eda," I stare into her brown eyes.

She looks so disappointed.

I feel bad.

I'm willing to do anything for my sister.

"Okay," she only says. She slowly pulls away. "I'm gonna go shower."

"How was school today?" I ask at the doorway, half glancing back at her.

"It was school," she sighed.

I have a feeling that Eda's going to that party.