Chapter 𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮

Dynera (Die) Ericks
Dynera's Place
4:58 p.m.

"Mom, this is Enez," I hold my girlfriend's arm tightly as I introduce her to my mother.

My mother was my best friend and as much of my protector as Enez is to Eda. She was also as picky as me and demanding. Hopefully Enez would meet up to her standards- at least on the outside. If she knew Enez had killed someone...I think she would disown me.

"That was mentioned earlier," my mother mumbled as she put a slab of ribs on some foil. They were covered with seasoning and butter.

"I- Um, she's my girlfriend," I stutter.

My mother turns around with a knife in her hand, her hands smelling strongly of the barbecue she was handling. Nina and Eda munched on cut up bits of wieners in the living room while my mom's boyfriend cussed at the always-losing Texans on the flat screen TV.

"I'm Mama Cece. That's what everybody calls me. It's nice to meet you, Enez. I hope that you treat my daughter well." Enez starts to pull me towards the living room as if she thinks my mother is done. I chuckle a bit as my mother keeps talking and a blush rises on Enez's face.

"Any friends? Best friends?" my mother questions.

"Uh- Ah yes. I actually cut ties with my old friend from Baltimore. She said she wanted something more with me and I declined and she got feisty. Actually helped- um, someone come after me," Enez said. I frown, she hadn't told me any of that. We'd definitely have to discuss that later.

My mother gives me a knowing glance that seems to say "watch out for that best friend". I give her a look back: "you know ya daughter's crazy".

"What colleges have you applied for, Enez? I hear you're still a junior." There's no hiding the jabs there against Enez. I squeeze my girlfriend's arm for support, but leave her to fend off my mother's comments. If she was going to survive being with me, she needed to be able to handle my mother respectfully but correctly.

"I've actually been talking to my counselor about colleges I'll apply to. She says for my case that I should wait closer towards the end of my junior year because a lot of colleges might think I'll flunk again. She says it'll make them realize that I'm a steady and secure student once they see I'm heading off to twelfth grade."

"And why did you flunk?" my mother asks.

Enez seems at a loss of words for a moment. My mother shoots her a glance as she carefully wraps up some corn and seasons it. I suddenly regret spilling my heart out about every little detail concerning Enez while my girl was ripped away from me. "I had a lot of things going on emotionally that year and I was struggling to take care of my sister. I wasn't ready to grow up but I didn't really have a choice. My parents dealt with pretty bad addictions and brought other dangerous actions into our home. I didn't have the time to focus on my schoolwork but this year our situation has improved tremendously and now I am able to focus on my studies and even help my sister with hers."

"The girl in the living room. She's your sister? Eda isn't it?" my mother asked, seeming unmoved by Enez's story.

"Yes," Enez says.

"She's a bright young girl. I can see that. Keep up the good work, Enez." My mother looks up and pauses from what she's doing. "But save some time for yourself too." She gestures to me, "I had this one at a pretty young age. I know it was ten times harder on you," she says.

Enez grimaces in answer but nods. "Thank you."

My mother glanced back at me. "Come help cook this food. Enez go rest, chile." Enez shoots my mother a crazy grin and heads off to the living room. I'm tense as I package the food up in foil to be sent outside whenever either my mom or her boyfriend went out to the grill. I didn't know what to expect after my mother's jabbing but neutral behavior a few moments ago.