Ch18: bandits

A bit away from the Kagura household there was a shed nearby. Inside was Hinokami tinkering with a prototype glider. An ice hawk flies inside and lands on the windowsill above her.

 An ice hawk flies inside and lands on the windowsill above her

Name: Glacier

Species: Arctic Hawk

Level: 100

_____

Hinokami looks up and smiles. She takes the scroll of paper from Glacier's beak and pets him. "Thanks, buddy." She says and reaches into her pocket and fed him pieces of dried meat.

She reads the letter as Glacier flies out the window. "Seems like Mina is finally back." She says and sets the letter down. She puts on her goggles and gloves and started welding metal together with her fire magic.

A few hours later there's a knock on the door.

"Come in!" She says and quickly hides the invention she was working on. The door opens to reveal a girl with long brown hair and light red eyes.

"Hey, cousin! How's it been?" She says and hugs Hinokami. "I've been doing great Mina. I just got my first familiar two months ago." Hinokami explains and Mina grins as she pats the younger girl on the back.

"That's great, I hope you are ready for the entrance exams next month," Mine says. "Yeah, I'm ready."

Hinokami's POV

"Did you know this masked vigilante is going around the city at night?" Mina asks.

"Yeah, but they've just been fighting criminals," I said. Mina then pulls out a wanted poster. It was me wearing a black kitsune mask and a black outfit.

"Why are there wanted posters?" I asked. "The king didn't like the idea that someone was snooping around at night so he put out a reward to them." She explains. I took the poster out of her hands and studied it.

'10,000,000 jewels!? What the hell! The king must be paranoid of me then. Wait- what's with the name he gave!?'

"Really. Dark knight hero," I said unimpressed. Out of all the names they can call me why that one??

"Don't know, but look at the reward! I but a lot of people will probably try to catch her." Mina says and I rolled my eyes.

'Like they'll ever catch me.'

Mina takes the poster back and neatly folds it and puts the piece of paper in her pocket. "Hey wanna go into town right quick? There's something I gotta show you."

"Oh really? What is it?" I asked. "OK so like a few weeks ago these glider things we're shown to the public. It turns some young girl has been making these. She even has her own company and everything, the only people who know her actual identity are her workers." Mina explained.

Ah yes, my greatest creation. If you haven't guessed it then well the girl Mina was talking to is me. I've already sold a few to the knight's academy here in mistral and the headmaster there is already requesting to buy some more.

I'm still thinking if I should tell Mina are not. I know that she'll keep it a secret, but I kinda wanna see how far this'll go.

"Hey, where have we're you for the past few months?" I asked. "Oh, my mom introduced me to her mentor. I've been training with her." She explains.

"That sounds cool. Asia and I will be going to train with Anko before the Academy entrance exams start." I say. "My mom took me to another kingdom called Vale. That's where she met Anko."

"That's cool, I'm glad my baby cousin is doing alright!" Mina then wraps her arm around my neck.

"We are only a year apart you idiot!" I said and playfully pushed her away.

"So did you learn any more magic? It would be a shame if some pathetic rich kid beats you in the entrance exam." I rolled my eyes.

"I guess I can tell you one of the spells I learned," I said, smirking. "It's another teleportation spell called [Instant transmission]."

Mina's eyes sparkled. "Show me! Show me!" She yells. And I thought she was supposed to be the mature one...

"I would but, I can barely teleport myself anywhere," I said and scratched my neck. Mina just stares at me.

"THAT'S PRACTICALLY USELESS!!!"

"LET ME EXPLAIN FIRST!"

"For me to teleport to someone I have to feel their mana and lock onto it. And it also takes a lot of my mana which would mean I'd be useless for the next few hours... Also, I have motion sickness." I explained to her. Mina nods as if she understood what I said.

"So in short, can't do it because of motion sickness." I then clapped my hands.

"Hurray! Mina-san got it!"

The next thing I know an arrow flies past me and hits a tree.

I glanced behind me to see three bandits.

One of them was up in a tree getting ready to shoot another arrow while the other two had weapons in their hands.

"Drop all of your valuables!"