luten | spark (ii)

read part i first!

(ꕥ)

it had been a few days after the incident when yukhei– lucas– and youngheum– ten– were deemed ready to go back to school. of course they still had noticible scars, and of course everyone wanted to know what happened.

lucas, who once stayed to the shadows, was all anyone could talk about. ten, who'd been popular from the start, was being approached by just about everyone.

did i mention that they were the only two fire victims freed from the hospital?

one day, when lucas was sitting outside at lunch with ten (who was answering a question), one of his answers made it occurs to lucas that he didn't know about gongseo.

the older had spoken so optimistically about the once alive boy, and just that was enough to tell lucas that ten should know what he didn't.

"ten?"

the boy looked up mid-swallow, humming in response.

lucas nervously scratched the back of his neck. "you should probably swallow that."

ten eagerly gulped down his sandwich. "so?"

the younger's palms felt sweaty. "um... gongseo... didn't make it."

"what do you mean?" ten innocently cocked his head to the side, but on the inside, he expected the worst.

"i mean, he's dead."

and that made ten's heart drop.

~

" are you in this class too? "

youngheum looked at the boy who'd just bounded up to him. he was standing in front of his classroom on his first day of grade five.

" um, yeah, i just moved schools. "

the boy smiled. " that sounds fun! unless your left your friends behind. " his smile drooped.

youngheum looked down at his shoes. " i didn't really have any friends back at my old school. "

" i can be your friend! "

" really? " ten looked up, hopeful sparkles in his eyes.

" yes! " his new friend stuck out his hand. " choi gongseo. 11 years old. "

youngheum shyly stuck out his hand. " chittaphon leechaiyapornkul. i know it's long, and most of my family call me chi-chi. i'm 10 years old. "

" that name sounds foreign. "

" it's thai. "

" do you have a korean name? "

youngheum nodded. " youngheum. "

gongseo playfully let his upper body collapse. " that's also really long! " then his eyes sparkled, like he got an idea. " since you're ten, i'm going to call you ten! "

youngheum smiled. " i like that. "

" you better, cause it's all i'm going to call you now. "

~

"ten?"

the boy blinked, taking in the tears rolling down his cheeks, the concerned look on lucas' face, and the warm feeling around his hand.

ten opened his mouth to speak, but the younger boy merely pulled him closer, the former's face now buried in his chest. " i know how good of friends you two were. "

were. the word stung.

more tears came down ten's face, and he found himself going from simple crying to bawling. he pulled himself closer to lucas, wrapping the latter in a tight hug.

the younger of the two gave him a soft pat on the head. "hey, ten, you know what?"

ten pulled away a bit from the hug as lucas took his face into his hands, wiping away the tears. if only ten's lips didn't look so damn kissable right now.

"gongseo told me the night he–" instead of saying the word, he cleared his throat. "he wanted me to meet you. and you know what?"

"i'm glad he wanted me to."

ten's cries, which had made a stop, clawed at his throat until he had no choice but to release them.

soul-wrenching screams, ones that even made lucas want to cry out in agony. instead, he kissed the older on the forehead before bringing them into their wrapped together position from before.

"it's going to be okay, chi-chi. it'll be okay."

***

in like part 55 of this book i have a luten five part oneshot with five major character deaths and angst but like it's gonna be fire :D

is this angst?

remember to check out the playlist!

it's like 12 am goodnightttt

- 🧃