One too many "daddy" jokes

Chapter 2

The second Karl came home from his holiday with his family, Sapnap ambushed him in the kitchen. Karl turned around, still on the phone, but hung up when he saw Sapnap.

"George is in Florida." They both said at the same time.

They paused, staring at each other when they realised they both already knew.

"How did you know?" Karl asked.

"You did you know." Sapnap retorted.

They stared for longer.

"Hi. By the way." Sapnap leaned forward and pressed a kiss to Karl's cheek, smiling as his fiancé blushed. Karl huffed and pressed a quick peck to Sapnap's lips in return. "I missed you."

"It was only a week. But I missed you too." Karl's smile then fell slightly. "But seriously, how did you find out he's in Florida?"

"Dream saw him. And spoke to him. And found out..."

"That George has a kid." Karl finished, nodding. He ran a hand through his hair, then pulled Sapnap to the counter to sit. "I should have realised that Dream would tell you." He said.

"How the hell do you know? When did you find out?"

"Well. Um. George called me. Last night." Karl said, holding up his phone. "He had a breakdown and told me the entire encounter with Dream. I've only spoken to him a couple of times in the past few years, but I only just found out he had a kid. And that he's in Florida. And that was the first time I have ever heard him cry in my life." Karl said.

Sapnap ran a hand through his hair.

"Fuck. He called you?"

"Yeah. An entire breakdown. Told me everything. He... he wanted to call you." Karl looked at his fiancé, seeing Sapnap's eyes widen slightly. "He didn't have your number anymore."

"He wanted... to call me?" Sapnap felt his throat close up. George was his best friend too, before he disappeared.

"Yeah. After seeing Dream I think he realised how badly he misses you. Like really bad. It took me like half an hour to calm him down, all while processing the fact he has a four year old daughter."

"Four in two weeks." Sapnap corrected him. Karl gave him a look. "Right. Not important. Did he uh... did he say he misses me?"

"Yes. It was one of the first things he said. But once he had calmed down, I swear it was like talking to a different person. One second he was saying how much of a horrible person he is. The next, he was simply apologising and finding an excuse to hang up." Karl sighed.

Sapnap frowned, eyes going to Karl's phone which was lying on the table.

"Can you give him my number? Or at least somehow organise us meeting with him. I need to talk to him again. He never said goodbye." Sapnap said. Karl put a hand over his.

"I'll text him."

A week later, Sapnap found himself standing in a car park, holding hands with his fiancé and eyeing every car that entered.

"What if he has a family minivan? I'll bully him."

"Sap, stop." Karl laughed.

"Fuck. Is this going to be awkward?" Sapnap asked. Karl sighed and shrugged.

"Maybe a bit."

"Hey." A small voice interrupted from their left, and they both turned towards it.

George was standing there, fingers intertwined anxiously, a look of nervousness in his eyes and a small awkward smile on his face. The three of them stood in silence for a moment, clearly making George slowly regret every decision that led him to this point.