Comfort at the hospital

Chapter 6

Sapnap and Karl had a date night, and Dream decided he wanted to cook pasta for himself. He had spent most of the day sleeping off his hangover, and woke up at 6pm craving pasta. So pasta is what he would eat.

He was humming to himself as he moved around the kitchen. A good distraction to his busy mind lately. He almost didn't hear the distant ringing phone, but he paused what he was doing to listen. It wasn't his ringtone, but it was coming from the dining room next to the kitchen.

Dream quickly went to the next room, and realised it was Karl's phone on the table, buzzing from a phone call. He must have left it behind.

The caller ID said George.

Dream stared at the phone, frozen. The joyful ringtone was playing but it was making Dream's heart rate increase.

The call rang out, but Dream hadn't moved yet. Until a ding came through, and he saw a voicemail motivation, along with a few text messages from George.

Karl, please pick up Lana's really really sick.

Dream had shut down, not knowing what to do. And then another message came through.

We're at the hospital I need your help.

And when the phone started ringing again, Dream didn't hesitate to answer this time. But before he could even get a word in George started rambling.

"Karl I don't know what to do, I'm at the hospital and Lana is here and I don't know what I'm doing and they won't let me see her and I don't have my ID and she's never even been this sick before and I shouldn't have let it get this bad." George's frantic voice rang through the phone.

Dream froze for a second. He hadn't heard him in a week, but it was still jarring to hear his voice after the four years without him.

"It's Dream. I found Karl's phone, he's out at the moment with Sapnap." Dream responded.

"O-oh. I'm s-sorry, Dream. I'll hang up." George said, and Dream didn't miss the shakiness in his voice.

"No, no. Don't hang up. Is everything ok? You're at the hospital? Is Alana ok?" Dream asked, jogging back to the kitchen and turning off the stove, moving all of the food to the side.

"U-um, not r-really. But it's ok, I can call someone else-"

"George, what's going on with Alana?" Dream asked again, swallowing his heartbreak for a moment.

"She has the flu. And she's n-never been sick before, but I thought I was doing everything r-right. But she got an insane temperature and g-google told me I had to take her to the hospital. But-but-b-"

"George, take a breath, ok? Just take one deep breath for me." Dream said, ignoring the familiarity of the situation. He heard George's shuddering breath on the other end of the line.

Dream took a deep breath as well, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Which hospital are you at?" Dream asked softly, opening his eyes and wincing at where this was going.

"Arnold Palmer."

Dream sighed and grabbed his keys, and shoved his shoes onto his feet.

"I'll be there in ten." He said.

"What? Dream, y-you don't have to. I'm sorry I bothered you, it's night and I'll just go home and grab it myself." George said quickly.

Dream locked the front door, pressing the phone between his shoulder and ear.

"It's fine. It'll take you way to long to get to your place, you live too far. Plus, I'm in my car already." Dream said, opening the door.

"I'm serious, you don't have to come." George repeated, his voice growing weaker again, Dream could hear that he was on the brink of tears.