Don't leave again

Chapter 7

"How is she?" Dream asked as Sapnap and Karl walked into the house, following them both to the kitchen.

"She's fine. You could find out yourself, you know." Sapnap said, dumping the car keys on the table and turning to look at Dream.

"You know I can't do that." Dream said, sitting down on a stool. Karl stood beside Sapnap, who pulled him closer with an arm around his waist. "And how's George?"

"Also fine. And why couldn't you just speak to him when I called?" Karl asked.

"That would involve me having to talk to him." Dream said.

"So? You've done that before. You literally spoke words to him two days ago at the hospital."

"I don't want to. Besides, I don't even care that much." He said with a shrug, swinging on the stool. Sapnap and Karl gave each other a look.

"You don't care that much but you still asked how Lana and George are doing?"

"Well I was just curious. It was a stressful day." Dream said, tapping his foot on the floor.

"But it's all sorted now. Lana's better, they are back home, and George is now her emergency contact." Karl said.

"About that, why wasn't he her contact? I never asked." Sapnap turned to Karl.

"Um." Karl glanced at Dream, as if he was unsure if he knew, or should say it in front of him. "Well, when she was born, George hadn't listed himself because he wasn't sure what role he was going to have in her life. The hospital automatically put her Mother's. And obviously, since George and Lana moved away, he never had to change it here in Florida."

"When did he tell you all that?" Sapnap asked, confused.

"Today."

"You guys were out for a while, did you spend all the time with them?" Dream cut in.

"Sort of. We went with George and Lana to the preschool to help him sort out some forms and so Lana could meet the staff." Karl said.

"She's starting preschool?"

"Yeah, since they moved here she needed a new one. She's quite anxious about it though. And George is worried too. She starts in a week." Sapnap said.

"That is stressful. Are the other kids at the party at the same preschool?" Dream asked.

"I think one of them is, and in her age group..." Karl glanced at Sapnap who has narrowed eyes at Dream. "But other than that I think she doesn't know anyone else."

"Hm. That would be scary. I'm sure she'll be fine." Dream said, still spinning on the stool.

"Hm yeah." Sapnap said with a scoff. "I thought you didn't care."

"I don't, I just..." Dream stopped spinning, and swallowed. "Ok maybe I care a little but that's only because she's a nice kid and hasn't done anything wrong."

"It's ok to care, Dream. If it helps, George asked about you as well." Karl pulled away from Sapnap and walked away into the living room. Dream quickly followed.

"What did he say?" Dream asked curiously.

"I don't even care that much." Sapnap mocked Dream.

"Just asked if you were doing ok, thought the hospital visit might have made you more uncomfortable."

"What did you tell him?"

"That it didn't, and you care about him and Lana." Sapnap piped in.

"What! Why would you say that?" Dream glared at him.