A birthday party

Chapter 4

"Oh. Are you... going somewhere?" Dream asked, walking into the living room and seeing Sapnap and Karl, with shoes on and car keys in Sapnap's hand.

"Yes." Sapnap said. And for some reason, the way he suspiciously said it made Dream know instantly what it was.

He didn't respond, instead tensing his jaw and walking past them, into the next room. Sapnap looked at Karl, who sighed, and they both followed Dream.

They'd been fighting for days. The same argument every time it tried to be brought up civilly. Every time it hurt more and more.

"Dream-"

"Stop." Dream responded, opening the fridge and looking inside.

"It's her birthday." Karl said. Dream let the cold air pass across his face, and didn't turn around. "You can't be mad at us for going-"

"You think that's what I'm mad at?" Dream muttered.

"At us seeing George again and meeting his daughter? Yes, I think that's what you're mad at." Sapnap said. Dream's fist clenched around the door handle, eyes raking over the food even though he didn't know what he was looking for.

"Look, Dream, we love you. But George is our fr-"

"I know he's your fucking friend. Good for you." Dream yelled, slamming the fridge door shut and spinning around. He stared at the two of them. Karl took a step back but Sapnap stood taller.

"I know that what happened between both of yo-"

"Stop." Dream seethed, staring daggers at Sapnap. "Stop. Just. Stop, please." He said, and then walked past them both. "I'm tired of this."

Sapnap didn't stop, he followed Dream.

"You can't be mad at us for being friends with him."

"Yes I can!" Dream snapped, turning back around. "He hurt me. He broke my heart. You saw what he did to me four years ago. You saw how much it hurt. He hurt you too! He blocked all of us. And then suddenly he comes back and you just forgive him? Just like that? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand." Dream said. Sapnap nodded, but had his arms crossed against his chest.

"I know it's different for you. You don't have to see him ever. I get it. But me and Sapnap still-" Karl tried to speak calmly.

"It feels like you're choosing sides." Dream said, his voice breaking. "Just because he has a kid now, you, what? Feel bad for him? You're choosing him over me now? Even after he ignored you for years." Dream said.

"That's not what this is, Dream." Karl said. "There aren't sides."

"But there is! There is in every breakup. In everything." Dream said.

"Well if there is, then why is it fair I've chosen your side, hm? I've been with you throughout the whole thing. I know your side of the story. Don't you think it's unfair that I never heard George's? No one has been on his side." Sapnap argued back.

"There aren't sides." Karl said softly, but it went unheard by the other two.

"Because everything was his fault! He did it to himself. He broke my heart." Dream yelled at Sapnap.

"You don't understand the position he was in! If you heard his side-"

"I'd what? I'd understand why he left me? Why he chose an unborn child over me? I proposed to him. That meant forever. I would love him unconditionally and forever but clearly he couldn't do the same for me." Dream said, and hated the way his eyes stung with anger and sadness.