This isn't a movie

Chapter 5

One of Dream's worst habits is going for drives to relieve emotions. Before he even dated George, he would speed when he drove, windows down, music blaring, not looking at the dashboard while he drove around the city or on the freeway.

While he dated George, he stopped the speeding. If they ever had arguments, he would still go driving, but he never sped. Because there was one night, with one particularly bad argument, and despite George being so upset and angry at Dream, he still begged him not to drive, terrified he would speed.

"Please Dream, don't go. I know we are fighting, a-and you can literally break up with me if you want but please don't drive. Please. It's late. It's raining. You're angry. I'll fucking sleep outside if you just stay. Please." George had grabbed his shirt, stopping him from going outside even though he was holding the keys to the car.

George looked like he was on the verge of collapsing. He was a sobbing mess, begging Dream to stay. So of course Dream did.

He could barely remember what the argument was about. It was something about George's not telling him where he had been a few times that week, and a simple curious question had escalated.

But even after Dream and George broke up, Dream didn't speed. Mainly because he didn't even leave the house. He didn't do anything, including going for drives, so he never needed to watch his speed.

But he was fuelled with anger and hurt and heartbreak right now. The words George stabbed him with were bouncing around his head, taking control of his limbs.

But he eventually pulled over in a random street, when his teary eyes made it difficult to see. And the second he did, he let his head fall against the wheel, and the water spill.

His shoulders shook as he cried. He didn't understand why he was so upset, but he couldn't stop the tears. He has had four years to get over George, to move on and accept that the boy didn't want to be with him.

So why did it hurt when he said those words himself. Why do you think I left you?

Dream hated that question because he'd already answered it a million different ways over the few years. I don't want you in my life, Clay.

"Fuck you, George." Dream seethed hands tightening on the frozen wheel.

It would have been at least half an hour later when a tapping on the driver window made Dream look up.

Sapnap was standing there, a frown on his face and knitted eyebrows. Dream knew he must look like a mess. Red, puffy eyes. Pink and damp cheeks. He didn't respond to Sapnap, just let his head fall back down against the wheel.

"Dream, can I come in?" Sapnap's voice was muffled by the door, but Dream heard him. And in response, blindly reached for the unlock button. The click was enough for Sapnap to walk around to the other side of the car and slip into the passenger seat.

They were silent for a moment, and then Dream felt a warm hand on his shoulder.

"This is taking me back a few years." Sapnap said with a small chuckle to lighten the mood.

Dream didn't respond. This was exactly what it was like years ago, when Dream was still freshly heartbroken and Sapnap was left to pick up the pieces. That was when Sapnap made Dream share his location with him at all times.

"He said awful things." Sapnap sighed. Dream wanted to laugh, because duh. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you we were on speaking terms. And I'm sorry if you felt like I was choosing sides. I'm sorry I played a role in you showing up to the party. And I'm sorry he said those things."