Kabanata 17

BTP KABANATA 17

"Let's visit your parents." I looked at Satan with a creased forehead. "I'll talk to them if it's okay with you." He glanced at our intertwined hands then stared at me.

"Okay," I smiled and swayed our hands. "I heard they are staying in our ancestral house," I informed him. Hindi na ata umuwi sa Manila ang parents ko.

"Should we go now? Or do you still want to stay here?" tanong niya. Ilang oras na kaming nandito sa tabi ng dagat. We tried to calm ourselves, and it took us an hour before we became calm. I was sobbing the whole time that Satan was so worried.

"I want to sleep," I said instead. I lost so much energy because of crying. Gusti ko na lang matulog ngayon.

Satan chuckled and caressed my cheeks. "Sleep in my car, okay?" I nodded and hugged him. He let me hug him, so I closed my eyes. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes before leaving.

"You're driving to the wrong place," I told him. Lalo akong naguluhan nang ngumiti lang siya. We stopped when we reached a very crowded place. This must be the night market Kev told me before.

"Stay here," Satan said. "I'll buy something. Maiwan ka na rito dahil maraming tao," he added.

Ngumuso ako. I want to come with him, but I'm also too tired to move a finger. He caressed my cheeks when he noticed that I pouted.

"You wanna come?" he said in a soft tone of voice.

Umiling ako. "I'll stay here."

He kissed my forehead before leaving me inside his car. I watched him walk until I could no longer see him. Due to tiredness and boredom, I eventually doze off. Nagising na lamang ako nang may kumatok sa bintana. I thought it was Satan, but an old lady welcomed my sleepy eyes instead.

She was looking through the window with a tired expression. I felt a hand squeeze my heart. I grabbed the only bread I could see and opened the door.

Halatang nagulat siya sa biglaan pagbukas ko ng pinto. Napaurong pa siya sa gulat.

"Pasensya na, hija. Akala ko ay walang tao. 'Wag kang mag-alala, aalis na rin ako," paghingi niya ng tawad. Ngumiti siya sa akin.

"Sa into na po ito..." I handed her the bread I was holding. Kumuha rin ako ng kaunting pera sa wallet ko para ibigay sa kanya. "Ang gawin niyo po, Lola, ay umuwi na kayo. Gabi na po at delikado sa daan." Hinawakan ko ang kamay niya at ibinigay ang hawak ko.

She started to tear up, so I felt alarmed and quickly gave her a tissue. "Napakabuti mong bata," aniya. "Pinapanalangin ko na bigyan ka ng Panginoon ng tunay na kaligayahan," dagdag niya.

I smiled at her. "Ingat po kayo," I said.

In our times today, it's ten times harder to be less fortunate. People with power tend to manipulate and abuse people like her. It makes me sad that there are people out there who don't have any shelter and food to eat right now. If only the higher-ups help the poor rather than teaming up against them. If only the privileged ones help the less fortunate to know the things that could help them.

I went inside the car to wait for Satan. Hindi na ako makatulog kakaisip.

He was holding two bouquets of lavender. I pressed my lips to stop myself from smiling.

"I know you love flowers," he said, handing me one bouquet. "This one is for your Mom. I bought an artificial flower too since I don't know if she's allergic to flowers like you."

"She'll love that," I said. I can almost see my Mom's smile and my Dad's frown. "But I'm afraid my Dad would be so mad," I laughed.

Satan started the engine and looked at me with a bewildered face. "Is your dad allergic to flowers too?"