Kabanata 34

BTP KABANATA 34

"Are you okay now?" I asked Satan, glancing at him before looking at the road again.

"Yeah..." he said huskily. "You could have had to wake me up to drive instead," he added.

I bit my lips and shook my head. "I'm okay... After all, you look sick."

"Is that an insult?" he asked.

Napanganga ako at kaagad na umiling. "I didn't mean to say that as an insult," sabi ko at sumulyap sa kanya ulit.

I heard him chuckle. "I'm just joking."

Sinamaan ko siya ng tingin. "How did you even learn how to joke?"

"I just did."

"You spend too much with Nico," umiling-iling ako.

"We do spend so much time together now." I saw him smile.

"I'm happy for you," I genuinely said. "I'm happy that you're slowly mending your younger self's wounds."

"I just realized that people are not responsible for our healing and that they'll still live their life no matter what. I don't want to be stuck here while everybody else is moving again," he said, smiling. "I've been spending a lot of time with my siblings now. It's like we're all kids again, getting to know each other."

"That's good," I smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

"That's what love is," he said, looking at the view outside. "It's all about trying to know all the things about the person you love."

I felt some water on the side of my eyes. God, I'm beyond proud of him...

And I know med student Satan is also proud of him. He's starting to come out of his comfort zone. Seeing him genuinely smiling makes my heart race. It's as if my heart is telling me that it's finally home.

"Let's buy Starbucks," I said, stopping the car.

Tumango siya at tinggal ang seatbelt niya. "I'll drive after."

Bumili kami ng usual na binibili namin. Thankfully, walang masyadong tao. Usually, Starbucks is too crowded, especially when night comes. The majority are college students who are studying... or more like pretending to be busy with studies. Been there, done that.

I couldn't help but smile when I saw a nursing student frowning while looking at her transes. She looked so stressed and sleepy. I'm betting hell week is starting for them. Though, in the medical field, every week is a hell week.

"Are you hungry?" Satan asked when we reached my car.

"A little bit," pag-amin ko.

"What do you want to eat?"

"Pancakes."

"Should we eat at pancake house?" he said, laughing a little bit.

Tumango ako. "Why are you laughing?" nagtatakang tanong ko.

"It's just that... we also did this before," he chuckled, turning on the engine.

Natawa ako nang ma-realize ko na tama siya. This already happened before, and we were also about to go to subic. The only difference is that I was the one who was sleeping, and he was the one who was driving the car.

"The deja vu in us," umiling-iling ako.

"You were sulking at the time," he said, provoking a fight between us.

"I was not," I cooly said.

"You were," he insisted. "I wanted to laugh at your face before, but we weren't that close," he added.