Eight

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping and sunlight seeping through the window.

I slowly opened my eyes, only to see I was resting in a bed that was not mine.

I bolt upright, but quickly lean back down as I reminisce on the events of last night.

Ricky had helped me when I was in a vulnerable position.

He was probably just doing it because it was the bare minimum, but it meant a lot to me.

I quickly dangle my feet over the edge of the bed and hop off, walking out of the bedroom.

It was a Saturday, which meant I didn't have to do anything.

But then I remembered.

I have nowhere to go.

I don't know if I'm allowed to go back home yet.

I shake off the thought and head downstairs, trying to find his kitchen. His house was really fucking big.

Eventually I find his kitchen, beginning to make myself toast.

"Mornin'."

I quickly turn on my heel and see Ricky leaning against the counter, smiling at me. His hair was all disheveled and his eyes were red, he looked like he just woke up.

"Dude, you look terrible."

"So do you."

I gasp, rushing out of the kitchen to go find the nearest mirror.

"Jesus, Nina I was joking!" I hear him yell from the kitchen.

Relief quickly washes over me as I walk back into the kitchen, sending him a very unfriendly glare in the process.

"Are you ever gonna start calling me Nini?" I ask, grabbing my toast out of the toaster and placing it onto a plate.

"Not likely."

I roll my eyes as I go into the fridge, grabbing butter and beginning to spread it onto my toast.

"Did you sleep okay?" He wonders, taking a few steps closer to me.

"Yeah, I did actually."

"Great. So, I gotta investigate a case out of town in a couple hours so I should probably take you home soon."

I feel my face heating up as I look down at my shoes. How do you tell someone you got kicked out of your house?

"Um, I can't go back to my house." I say shyly, hoping he can sense the sincerity in my voice.

"Why?"

Just tell him, Nini.

"Um," I begin, avoiding eye contact as I feel a tear slip out of my eye and begin to roll down my face. "My mom hit me. And then she kicked me out. That's why I was outside in the rain all alone last night. I had nowhere to go."

I finally find the courage to look into his eyes, only to see him looking at me with an expression I've never seen before. It was like a combination of hurt and anger.

He then reaches out and lightly grabs my wrist, pulling me into him. His arms wrap around my waist as he rests his chin on top of my head, "I'm sorry." He whispers.

I move my arms in between his arms so my hands are resting on his shoulders as I rest my head on his chest, savoring the moment. His embrace felt so warm and safe.

"Just so you know, this means nothing. I still hate your guts."

I laugh, lightly shaking my head. "Likewise."