Seventeen

-  N I N I -

Homecoming.

Homecoming was tonight.

Next to prom, homecoming is one of the most important events at my school and you're looked at weirdly if you don't go.

I always went with Ej every single year.

Him being the captain of the football team, and homecoming usually being a football event, it would make sense that me and him got homecoming king and queen every year.

I have nobody to go with, but if I don't go, I'm gonna get made fun of. Homecoming is extremely important at my school.

But at the same time, if you go to homecoming alone, you're looked at even more weirdly.

In previous years, I've had numerous guys asking me to homecoming.

This year, I have none.

I grunt as I fall down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling.

How did I get here?

I went from the top of the chain, to the bottom in one day.

Life fucking sucks.

My thoughts are interrupted by someone knocking on my door.

I prop myself up on my elbows, "Come in!"

A moment later, the door swings open and Ricky walks in holding two hangers with different suits on them. He holds them up, "Which one?"

"For what?" I ask, a puzzled look on my face.

"Homecoming."

"You're going? With who?"

"You."

Huh? We never agreed on this.

I raise my eyebrows, "No! Go with Lily!"

"I can't, she's going with Levi!"

"I thought Levi was gay?"

"He is."

"Wait, so then why is he going with Lily?"

"They're going as friends."

"Why can't you go with them?"

"Because that's fucking thirdwheeling and it'd be awkard!"

"It won't be awkward, you're friends with them!"

"No, I mean it would look awkward. Will you just stop being fuckin' difficult and tell me which suit would look better? Goddamn."

"Dude, you didn't even ask me to go with you!"

He grunts and rolls his eyes before placing the hangers on the ground and getting down on one knee.

"Nina Isabel Salazar-Roberts, will you go to homecoming with me?" He asks. I know he was just doing this and it didn't mean anything, but my heart still fluttered.

"Ricky, if we show up to homecoming together people are gonna talk. There are gonna be rumors and people whispering." I tell him, looking down at my lap.

"Hey, Nini look at me," He walks over to me and places his index finger under my chin, lifting up so I was looking him in the eyes, "Who cares what they think? Are you really gonna let a couple fucks ruin your senior homecoming? This is your last homecoming dance, Nini. Don't let some low lives who have nothing better to do than gossip ruin your special night. Now, will you fuckin' go with me or not?"

I smile, "Yes, Ricky. I'll go with you."

"Perfect! Now which suit looks better?"

+