Chapter Fifteen

Isabella entered the large living room where some of the large investors as well as some workers from the company were chatting. Isabella wasn't in the mood for any celebrations that evening but because the party was honoring her, she had no choice but to attend.

The moment she entered, her eyes swept across the room. She saw Stefan standing at the far end of the room talking to a rather attractive tall black haired woman. The lady looked mesmerized by whatever Stefan was telling her. Isabella smiled and turned her eyes to the next couple. Stefan was a good man and he deserved a good and true woman. She was glad that he realized there was no future for them earlier. It would have been a shame if he ended up loving her when her heart belonged to someone else. And speaking about someone else...Isabella searched the crowd for him. She still remembered their last encounter in his office. She remembered his carefree look and the way it turned into something dangerous when Audrey showed up. She remembered the troubled expression when he noticed the nail marks on her wrist and the flicker of hurt before it morphed into anger. He planned to shield her from all the bad things around her but Isabella felt like she needed to see these bad things in order to be stronger. Audrey and Michelle might have tried to scare her but one thing they didn't know about her was that she never backed off from something once she set her mind on it. She loved Liam and not even Audrey was going to keep her away from him. She set her mind to be a better businesswoman than her father and Michelle wasn't going to stand in her way.

Liam was nowhere in sight. Hadn't he arrived yet? Was he even coming? Isabella's heart heaved as she walked into the room looking dazzling in her pale green cocktail dress. She chose that dress because of him. She wanted him to look at her like she was the only woman in that entire room.

What happened between them that afternoon was the mark of the beginning of something interesting between them. She saw the change in him afterwards. There was a difference in the way he looked at her and the way he talked to her. There was a difference in the way he touched her and guided her. It was as if she already belonged to him.

Her heart raced in her chest at the thought of it. Whatever feelings Liam had for her were increasing. Even though he assured her that he could never love, she was pretty sure what he felt for her was far more than just affection. Whatever it was, she was going to take it shamelessly in the time being while she taught him how to love.

“Looking great this evening, Isabella.” Stefan teased as he got two wine glasses from the passing waitress and handed her one.

Isabella smiled shyly at him and accepted the glass. How did he get there so fast? The last time she saw him, he was at the very far end of the room with that gorgeous black haired. “Thank you. You don't look bad yourself.”

Stefan grinned and asked. “So, how does it feel to be the woman of the hour?”

Isabella shrugged her shoulders lightly. “Lightning hasn't struck me down yet so it's still good.”

Stefan laughed out and noticed the jewelry she had on. “Wow, I do have a good eye for the good stuff, don't I? The necklace looks very good on you.”

Isabella felt her cheeks pinken. She hoped that Stefan didn't think much of it that she wore the jewelry he got for her on their last dinner date. They just happened to match well with the dress she wore. “Oh, thanks. I thought it would be a waste if I didn't wear it especially since you got it on a charity fund-raising.”

“Uh--” Stefan scratched the back of his head. “About that—I sort of lied about the fund-raising thing. I knew you wouldn't accept them if I told you the truth. There was no charity auction that day.”

“Stefan!” Isabella gasped. It was the truth though. If she had known that he bought them for her without reason then she wouldn't have accepted them. “I hope you turn to stone with your lies.” She tried to sound stern but the boyish look on Stefan's face made it quite hard to be upset with him.