Chapter Nineteen

“Hey, Christoph. I hope you have the documents I asked you to prepare.” Liam stood at the balcony of his room that evening after dinner with Miguel.

Christoph took a little while before he sighed. “You don't have to do this. We all know you were cleared.”

“You know that. The world doesn't. Do you have the documents?” he repeated.

“Yes I do.” Christoph answered.

“Good, I want them signed before we return Sunday evening--” he turned to the closed door joining his room to that of the woman who changed his entire world and clenched his jaws. “How is the situation there?”

“It's already gone viral. It's only a matter of time until Isabella finds out. I suggest you tell her the entire truth before she comes and faces this. I know what you want to do, Liam but this will not work. If you really care for Isabella, Liam, tell her the truth and let her decide on what she wants to do.”

“You have no idea what you're talking about, Christoph.” Liam tried to keep his temper on a leash.

“Oh but I do. Thomas was my best friend and I was behind covering up your past to give you a future. I know all the details of your life, Liam. I know why you are the way you are today. I know that what you want to do is because you think it will protect Isabella from you and your scandalous life but all that you are going to do is hurt her.”

“It's not your place to tell me what I can or can't do.” Liam growled at the phone. Christoph was right. No one wanted to team up with the son of the most notorious thief of all time. Thomas made sure his past was well buried and nothing was left behind to lead back to him.

“I'm not telling you, Liam. I'm your friend and this is just advise you can decide to use or discard. Whatever you decide, you will live with the consequences—not I.”

“Goodnight, Christoph.” Liam didn't want to hear anymore of Christoph's preaching. He ran his hands through his hair and stalked along the balcony like a trapped cat. For the first time in his life, he didn't know what he wanted to do. He didn't have a clear strategy for the next step forward. Not when Isabella was involved. This was getting dangerous. Old wounds were opening up and the dead were awakening to haunt him.

Again, Liam turned to the door separating him from the woman who meant more to him than even his own breath. He needed her comfort. He needed to hear her breathing and feel her heart beating next to his. He needed to know she was safe and inhale that addicting scent of hers. Without another thought, Liam walked towards the door and pushed it open.

Isabella was curled right in the middle of the large bed. She looked small and very vulnerable. The more he looked at her the more something stabbed hard on his heart. He couldn't do this to her. He couldn't let the past repeat itself and stand back and watch while his scandalous past destroyed her like the way his father destroyed his mother.

He slipped into the warm sheets and pulled her into his embrace. She moaned and turned to him, her eyes drowsy with sleep but she managed to smile.

“Hey.” She touched his cheek ever so lightly.

Liam swallowed back the lump that threatened to choke him and placed a kiss on her forehead. “Go back to sleep, Belle. I'll watch over you.”

Isabella chuckled lightly as her eyes closed again. “My own pirate...” she murmured as she fell asleep.

Indeed he was a pirate and a sleazy one for that matter. “I'm sorry, Belle. I'm sorry I'm going to have to break the spell of your fairytale. I hope one day you'll come to forgive me.” he whispered to her.