15 - Elucidations

Sabrina's P.O.V.

My phone suddenly rings, It's Carlo, I pressed the accept and answered him.

"Hey, how's it going?"

"Love, are you done with your meeting? Let's eat somewhere, you don't have time for me lately."

"I'm sorry. I hope you understand but yeah, sure. Just text me where. See you."

I hang up the call, put the divorce papers on an envelope and sandwhiched it inside the photobook. I took it with me and went to my car to meet Carlo.

We met at a restaurant nearby, he's on a table already so I sat infront of him.

"Did you wait? I'm sorry."

"It's okay, how are you?"

"I'm good. How about you?"

"Doing great, and about the wedding..."

He continued to utter stuffs about the wedding. I can't stop thinking about the divorce papers which we've been waiting for, and mostly the photobook, what's inside the photobook. Me, being the worst human being.

Carlo held my hand "Are you okay? You've been spacing out."

"I'm sorry, what were you saying again?"

He sighed and looked at me.
"Is it about Matthew?"

"What?"

"I can feel it, you changed so much. You're obviously not into me anymore. I kept on pushing myself towards you but you seem displeased. Do you love him?"

"What are you saying? We're getting married."

"But we're not married. It's okay Sabrina, I understand."

"No, no, I love you."

"But you love him too?"

I was shocked, I can't look at him straight into his eyes, I grew silent.

"They say that, if you ever fall in love with two different person, go with the second one because if you love the first one, you'll never fall for the second one. Matthew is a great guy. He loves you more than I do. I'm setting you free Sabrina, be happy with you life with him."

I feel like a thorn was plucked out from my heart. I haven't noticed it but I guess he's right. I am so sure now. I love Matthew. I kept on pushing him away while running away from my feelings too.

I looked at Carlo with teary eyes,
"I'm sorry, I messed up everything. I'm so sorry, for falling out of love. Those continuous efforts, the suprises, the thoughtful words, everything. I tried to avoid it but-"

"I hate to admit it but, he successfully stole you from me. Good luck, Sabrina. Thank you for everything"

I pulled the ring out of my finger and placed it on the table.

"Thank you, Carlo." I quickly left, I drove to the Smiths.

I'm standing at their gate, pressing the door bell. The gate that once opened just for me, the gate that opened my way to Matthew and my dreams.

A guard came, he was the one last time too.

"Mister, I need to see Matthew."

Mrs. Smith showed up behind him, they have opened the gates.

"Mrs. Smith, I wanna see Matthew."

She smiled and looked at me, she walked me towards the entrance of their white house.

"He would be happy to see you visit him, he's in his room, right now. Top, right, corner."

"Thank you, Mrs. Smith."

I nodded and smiled, I ran upstairs and saw the room Mrs. Smith told me. It has a sign on its door "Matt". You're really childish, Matthew. I knocked and entered the door.

"Matthew? It's me, Sabrina. Can we talk?" I said in a clear voice. "Hey, Matthew. It's Sabrina, we need to talk about something."

Is he in the bathroom? I kept on calling but there's no one answering. The curtains are open, I can see the garden from here, it's a beautiful sight.

"Matthew!" I kept on searching around until my eyes laid on a table, with his picture, designed with sunflowers, a glass box and an urn having a good view of the sun and nature outside. What's the meaning of this? It can't be.

I walked closed to it and tried to analyze it. What's this?

I felt someone tap my back. "Matthew?"

But when I turned my head to see who it was. I saw Justine.

Justine's P.O.V.

I saw Sabrina infront of Matthew's urn. Matthew died a month ago because of cancer.

"I told you he's resting. But for forever. He's in peace now. Probably taking pictures of the skies."

"What do you mean?"

"He passed away a month ago."

"No. No. No!"

Sabrina started to cry, I did my best to comfort her, I asked her to sit by the bed. She continued to sob.

"W- what- happened? Why? How come? Tell me everything please. Tell me that is another joke. Tell me you're playing tricks."

"Matthew has been fighting cancer for so long, we gave him the best doctors and medicines but they cannot save him. He grew up with machines and needles. He never knew how to play outside the sun with his friends."

"He was so weak at everything, he can't do anything by himself."

"That's why he loves the sun so much. He never got to spend time under it. He spent his life inside a hospital room, longing for it. He envies sunflowers because they get to stare at them all day."

"If you wonder why he likes photos and videos it's because he wants to leave something for us when he pass away. Something that will serve as his memories down here."

"That's the reason we've been spoiling him and giving him everything. We want him to enjoy his short life."

I explained in the concisest way possible.
She continued to cry.

"I will get you some water. Calm yourself please."

I left and returned with a glass of water. I placed it on a table.

"I'll be leaving you alone to process the news. Please don't take it too much for yourself. Matthew is happy and healthy now, he doesn't like seeing us cry because of him." I left Sabrina sobbing.

'We must tell our love ones how much we love them before it's too late.'

'Love can get us so blind that we may lose sight even of ourselves.'

'Time can suprisingly be love's enemy. Right person, wrong time. Right time, wrong person'