Part 24

I wake up to the early shining sun. My head is resting on Rafe's chest. I feel his fingers running gently through my hair. I look up and our eyes meet.

"Good morning, beautiful." He says in his raspy morning voice.

"Mornin'." I reply as I sit up. A smile erupts on my face when I remember the events from last night. It wasn't my first time, but it was definitely the best and most special I've ever experienced.

"Are you alright?" Rafe questions, now rubbing circles on my back.

I shake my head yes. "Last night was perfect."

...

We gather our things and start to head back to the boat just as it starts raining. It's just a light drizzle so we start driving back. A few minutes later the rain gets harder, I see a flash of lighting and seconds later a crack of thunder roars in the sky.

I look to Rafe with worry on my face. He grabs my hip and pulls me closer to him as he steers. We are both now drenched and stuck in a storm in an open boat. The waves are crashing harder but we are finally able to make it back to the marsh safely.

Rafe stops the boat by our dock and then pulls me in, kissing me softly in the rain.

"You're not driving home in this." I tell him.

He ties the boat up to the dock and jumps out. I lead him up to the Chateau, he stops just as we reach the front door.

I look back at him, "it's okay." I say to reassure him before we walk in.

John B and Sarah are sitting on the couch, both of their heads turn toward us. I grab Rafe's hand and lead him to my room, saying nothing. I see Sarah give John B a confused look before I close the door.

I grab some clean folded towels from the laundry basket sitting on my bed for us to dry off with.

"Have you told your sister about us?" I ask him as I run the towel down my dripping hair.

"I told her I was seeing someone, but not who. I think she knows now." He says gesturing toward the living room.

"My brother flipped when I told him yesterday."

"What about your friends?"

"I'm sure they weren't too thrilled about it but they seemed to be somewhat accepting."

He shakes his head in understanding. "I'm going to tell my friends."

I cringe at the idea. I know his friends didn't like me, they made it blazingly obvious when Rafe took me to the Island Club. And at that point we were just friends.

Rafe sits down on my bed and pulls me onto his lap. "It'll be fine." He assures me, placing a kiss on my forehead.

I look out my window and the rain is still coming down. "Wanna go out for some breakfast?"

He agrees and we exit my bedroom. John B and Sarah are still on the couch watching tv. Their eyes dart to us when we enter the living room.

"Rafe." Sarah speaks. "Fancy seeing you here." She says with a smirk and raised eyebrows.

He scratches the back of his neck. "Yeah..." He says awkwardly and then clears his throat.

"Well she's my friend, so you better not hurt her." Sarah threatens.

"I would never hurt her." Rafe replies but he moves his glance to my brother.

John B stays silent and continues staring him down.

"Well, we'll be back later." I chime in to break the tension, nudging Rafe out the front door.