Chapter 3

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey! Just thought I'd mention that this chapter is more focused on Rainbow Dash and Applejack, rather than Pinkie and Twilight. I thought it was best to give a chapter written mainly about these two since them being a couple plays a very big part in Pinkie and Twilight's relationship later in the story. But don't worry! This chapter does include a very important moment! Enjoy!

****** THIS CHAPTER TAKES PLACE DURING THE S6 TIME PERIOD ******

The harsh sun was beating down on the orange pony as she continued to plow the field. Although this task was never too difficult for her, the heat was surely testing her limits. As she came to a stop at the end of the field, she looked up to see a blue pegasus flying her way.

"Well howdy Rainbow! Whatcha got there?"

"A shovel. I wasn't sure exactly what you meant when you said you had "work on the farm" to do all morning but I thought it might help."

Applejack smiled. Rainbow always seemed to want to help out with her chores as much as possible, but never dared to ask since she knew AJ would most likely deny the help, even if she needed it. It was a habit Applejack was trying very hard to unlearn, but Rainbow did her best to work around it.

"Well, you're in luck! We sure got a lot of holes we need to be dug. If you could dig about 25 of em, that'd be a real help."

"You got it!"

Rainbow flew down to the ground and dug 25 holes in 10 seconds flat. This was nothing new from RD, but Applejack still couldn't wrap her head around how that was even possible.

"Done! Anything else boss?" Rainbow said smirking, clearly impressed by her own work.

"That's it for now, but maybe you could help buck apples later. I was just about to have lunch if ya wanna join me. I've got some fresh cider inside."

"Cider?!?! I am sooo there! But if that was your way of convincing me to come, I would've said yes anyway."

AJ blushed. She had made the cider just for her and was always happy to do so. But the fact that Rainbow enjoyed her company so much always seemed to leave her feeling very flattered. That was definitely one of the many things she loved about being Rainbow's girlfriend. She headed for the barn and turned her head to shout something to Rainbow.

"I'll be back in a second! Just grabbin the food from inside."

Back at Rarity's boutique, she was working on a sketch for a new dress when she suddenly heard the door open, which made her automatically turn around to see who had arrived.

"Hey, Rarity! I brought you some cupcakes to say thanks for helping me with the chef hats for Twilight and me. She really loved it!" Said Pinkie, as she bounced a dozen of freshly frosted cupcakes off her head, somehow landing the box perfectly onto a table.

"Why thank you, darling, that was ever so thoughtful of you! Did you two bake these yesterday?"

"Yup! It's a new recipe Twilight came up with! We call them chocolate raspberry swirl delights!'

"How wonderful! I didn't know Twilight was making recipes now! I guess you've taught her a lot Pinkie."

"She is a pretty quick learner!" Pinkie said, smiling as she thought of how impressed she was by Twilight's work. She got very quiet as she daydreamed about the purple alicorn.

Rarity picked up on Pinkie's noticeable silence and realized it could mean she had something she was avoiding talking about since Pinkie never usually let silence go for this long. She was about to ask about it but was suddenly interrupted by Pinkie's voice.

"Wanna try one of the cupcakes now?"

"Oh, darling I'd love to! Oooh it's around twelve, right? This is usually when Applejack takes her lunch break. Maybe we should go and offer her one. I'm sure she'd love the company. That is if Rainbow Dash isn't there yet." Rarity said as she let out a tiny giggle.

"That's a great idea! Come on!"

Pinkie threw the cupcakes in the air with her hoof and managed to land the box safely onto her back. Rarity gasped. This was nothing new for Pinkie, but she still didn't understand a lot of Pinkie's strange ways, as none of her friends ever really did either. They headed out the door and started walking to Sweet Apple Acres.

"And then, as expected...guess who won the race?!?" Said Rainbow, as she ate her sandwich.

"Oh, I know! Spitfire!" Said Applejack, in a joking manner.

Rainbow giggled.

"Yeah right! Judging by how fast I've gotten, I'm not sure I'll ever be beaten again!"

"If you say so. But I still do think I could beat you at a race here on the ground." AJ said, smirking.

"No no, we are NOT trying that again. Do you remember how carried away we got with that last time? Even Celestia complained!"

"Or maybe you just don't wanna lose!"

"Is that a challenge? Because it is ON!" Said Rainbow, as she stared into AJ's eyes while they scowled at each other. But their competitive spirits were quickly interrupted when they heard the sound of a familiar voice.

"Don't tell me you two are at this again. Why I thought you were less competitive now that you're dating." Said Rarity

AJ and RD looked at each other, then quickly looked opposite ways while blushing. They both absolutely hated that word. Maybe not necessarily for other ponies, but it just seemed so "soft" to them. Rarity of course knew that, but it sure didn't stop her from using it.

"Rarity! We talked about how we feel about THAT word!" RD said, still looking away from AJ.

"But that's what you two are darling. What else would you like me to call it? Girlfriends? Partners? Why there aren't many choices darling."

"Rainbow, it's fine. Ya know Rarity will just call us whatever she wants anyway. So, what'd y'all come for?"

"Pinkie made me cupcakes, and with it being your lunch break, we thought we'd come and share! Would you like one?" Rarity said as she floated the box of cupcakes toward AJ and Rainbow.

"Of course!" Rainbow said, as she grabbed two cupcakes and aimed one into AJ's mouth.

"These are mighty tasty!" Said Applejack as she finished her cupcake. But when she looked up again she noticed something odd. Pinkie hadn't said a word since she got there. She decided to say something and make sure her friend was alright.

"Pinkie, you alright? You've been awfully quiet."

"Wha- huh? Oh. Sorry. Kinda zoned out there for a sec. Did you say something?"

"You've been saying that A LOT lately. Is something bothering you Pinkie?" Rainbow said out of both worry and curiosity.

"Oh no, it's nothing." Pinkie said as her eyes widened, fearful they'd figure out what she was hiding.

"Wait...I know that look! Who is it Pinkie? Tell us!" Rarity said in excitement.

Pinkie heavily blushed. Rarity definitely figured it out.

"WHAT? Who is who?"

"Why, the special somepony of course! How am I to help you properly impress this pony without knowing their identity?"

"Who said there was anypony special?" Pinkie said, as her face got even redder. She tried to look away so her friends wouldn't notice, but it was pretty obvious Rarity had figured out what she'd been hiding.

"Why, your face did darling. Your fair complexion is turning redder than a tomato." Rarity said, giggling.

"Rarity, I know you're excited but don't make her say anything she doesn't want to. She'll tell us when she's ready. Right sugarcube?" Said Applejack, as she put a comforting hoof on Pinkie's tense shoulder.

Pinkie immediately felt so much better. With Applejack's support, she finally took a deep breath and prepared herself to say what she'd been wanting to tell someone for years.

"Thanks, Applejack, but I think I'm ready now. I've been wanting to tell somepony for a while. It's...It's Twilight."