Chapter 21

The five ponies began trotting toward Twilight's castle. It had been five days since they'd seen her leave her home. They were growing completely worried. Starlight said she needed space, but would not go into detail, as Twilight asked her not to. Pinkie began to feel like she did something wrong. They knew she hadn't invited them, but they needed to figure out what was going on. They took it upon themselves to go inside and knock on the alicorn's bedroom door. She jumped at the sound, in a mess of her own despair. She didn't know what to do anymore. Were her parents right? Did everyone but them have it all wrong? Was her being with Pinkie bad? Was she bad? She was so lost, feeling like she'd lost all sanity. With pain and emptiness, she said quietly, "Who is it?"

"Twilight, it's us.", Applejack replied.

"We're concerned about you, darling.", Rarity added.

"You haven't left the castle in days!", Rainbow complained.

"Are you feeling alright? You know you can talk to us.", Fluttershy said kindly.

Pinkie stayed silent. She was never this quiet, but her mind was thinking the worst. What if Twilight was angry with her? What if she didn't want to be together anymore? Her thoughts paused when Twilight replied to her friends.

"I appreciate it girls, I do. I just...I don't want you to see this."

Pinkie broke out of her thoughts. How she felt didn't matter right now. The focus was to help her girlfriend. And she probably didn't want a crowd while she was this upset.

"Could I drop in for a few, Twi? The others can go if it's too much."

Twilight lifted her head at the sound of Pinkie's voice. Oh how she'd missed that silly pink pony. Just hearing her made her feel just a bit better. Twilight caved. She didn't want anyone to see her this way, but she couldn't keep hiding either. And she didn't want Pinkie to think she was avoiding her. In a way, she was. But not at any fault of her own. Maybe it was time Twilight finally told Pinkie about what was causing her so much pain.

Twilight without a word, used her magic to open the door for Pinkie. Before she entered, she looked back at the four other ponies. "You guys should wait in the foyer. I want her to have the option to take all our support if she's able to." Her friends nodded, and headed down the hall. Pinkie then, walked into Twilight's bedroom.

Once the door shut, Pinkie stood there silent for a moment. She then slowly let out what she wanted to say.

"I don't want to make this about me, but I need to know. Did I do something to upset you?"

Twilight quickly replied, "No, no babe I promise you. It's nothing you've done. You've been nothing but amazing." She sat up in her bed as she patted a spot on the bed for the pink pony to sit.

Pinkie sat, but even with Twilight's words, she wasn't any more reassured. The alicorn still looked alarmingly unwell. Her hair was much thinner and more brittal. It looked like she'd lost an unhealthy amount of weight. Her under eye bags were completely dark. She looked so weak, so stressed, so exhausted. Pinkie couldn't just watch it anymore.

Twilight saw the concern in Pinkie's face, "Pinkie, what's wrong?"

"Babe, I'm really worried about you."

Her denial instincts hit. Her brain was telling her to not let Pinkie know about her issues. Her inner thoughts were shouting at her, "Don't be a burden. Don't be a burden. She won't like you anymore. She'll resent you. She'll be sad too and it'll all be your fault. Your problems will become hers and she'll be just as miserable as you are. Don't be selfish. Keep it in."

When Twilight didn't respond, Pinkie continued.

"You're deteriorating but you keep saying everything is fine. I only want to help you. Please, please just tell me what's going on."